twenty seven / 21 jump street

Me and Pete stayed out for a while. We took a walk and spoke about things that were on our mind. I found it strange that we were suddenly opening up to each other like this, but I was enjoying it. I was glad that Pete trusted me, and I was proud of myself for having the will power to trust him again.

We’d talked it out, and it wasn’t Pete’s fault. He listened to the demo and signed the contract, I couldn’t blame him, for anything. Pete was a good guy, a really good guy, and I was lucky to have him in my life. No matter what happens, I know that all he does is for my benefit, and anything that isn’t it a mistake.

Pete and I took a long de-tour back to the house. It was getting late and the sun was just setting. We ended up back at the bridge, just minutes away from the house. We stood still in the middle, peering over the edge at the rush of water beneath us.

‘’Pete,’’ I started. He looked at me, ‘’Why were you out here?’’

He just stared, ‘’To think,’’ Was his reply.

‘’Was it because of me?’’

‘’Not you, what happened to you,’’

‘’I’m sorry,’’

‘’Don’t be. I’ve had those thoughts before and I know how to control them now. I know what to do,’’.

We stood in another long silence. The only sound was the water. It was relaxing, but very overpowering. I took out my phone to check the time. It had just gone ten, Patrick would be getting worried. I tugged on Pete’s sleeve and we headed back to the house.

‘’We’re home!’’

‘’Pete! Thank God!’’ Patrick appeared and embraced his friend tightly. I excused myself to my room, changing into some shorts and a shirt before returning downstairs. I poured myself a glass of milk, grabbed a box of cookies and went back upstairs.

After I’d picked a movie, there was a knock at my door. Pete walked in, closing the door behind him. He was changed into night clothes too. Sitting on my bed, he grabbed a cookie.

‘’Whatcha watching?’’ He leant back against the headboard, next to me.

‘’21 Jump Street,’’ I replied.

‘’Go for it,’’. He flicked off the light, leaving just my lava lamp to reflect patterns and colours on the white washed walls around the room.

We watched about half the movie before I started to feel myself drifting off to sleep. I slid under the covers and put the box of cookies on Pete’s lap, laying my pillow flat and resting my head on it. I didn’t say anything. I just heard the rustle of a packet, the TV being turned off, the covers coming back and Pete lying next to me. I closed my eyes, though I could feel Pete staring at me. He leant over, kissing my cheek, before closing his eyes himself.