one / adopted?

‘’Everybody up!’’

I heard the supervisors voice from down the corridor. I silently groaned and flung my covers off me. I sat on the edge of my bed, swinging my feet as she burst into the room. The people are horrible who work here, all of them. Here, it’s just like a school. You have the populars, the nerds, the goths, the emos and then there’s me. The loner. Unfortunately, I have to share a room with the populars, you’d think that makes me popular too but it doesn’t.

‘’Up! All of you!’’ She clapped her hands and the three girls that I had to share a room with began to come to their senses.

‘’Come on!’’ She glared at me.

‘’I’m up’’. I shrugged.

‘’Maybe you didn’t hear me the first time,’’

‘’But I did, and I’m up’’ I said through grit teeth.

‘’They go and get downstairs. And because of you smart-ass backchat, only one slice of toast for you!’’

She stormed out of the room and I ignored the sniggers from around me. I pulled on some slipper socks and strolled downstairs and into the kitchen. As promised, I was only given one mediocre slice of toast with a pathetic amount of jam smeared on. I daren’t ask for more, Lord knows what she’d say.

I took a seat at the back of the room, by the window. At least it was a Saturday, no school for another two days. Two more weeks of exams and then I’d be out forever! Until, and unless I decide to accept the offer from a collage. I thought about my future and tried to guess how long I’d be here for. A week? A month? A year? More?

‘’Ellianah, Miss Carter needs to talk to you.’’ A girl reported.

‘’Okay, thanks’’. She skipped off and I quickly finished off my toast. You didn’t keep Miss Carter waiting. If she ever wanted to see you, you had to be there straight away. She only ever wanted to talk to you if you’d done something wrong, or something really great. And judging by myself, I can’t think it’d be for either of those things.

I took a deep breath as I gently knocked on the solid oak door. I heard a soft ‘come in’ from the other side. I did as I was told. The room was very old fashioned. It had high ceilings and bookshelf’s that were all filled, no gaps. Miss Carter was sat at a desk in a thick leather desk chair, smiling at me. She was quite young and wore glasses. She had bright blue eyes and jet black hair that fell just below her shoulders.

‘’Ellianah, please, take a seat!’’ She smiled and gestured to the chair opposite her. I sat down and folded my hands in my lap.

‘’I have wonderful news, we’ve been contacted about somebody wanting to adopt you! We wanted to keep this a surprise from you, we know it’s been a long time coming. We’ve finalised all the papers and he’s coming to collect you in about,’’ she glanced at the original clock on her wall, ‘’an hour’’.

‘’W-what?’’ I stuttered. Someone was adopting me? But why? And more importantly, who.

‘’I know it’s a lot to take in dear, but trust me, it’s a perfect match for you! His name is Patrick. He’s funny, outgoing, and has a lot of money,’’ she put emphasis on ‘a lot’.

‘’Oh. Well thank you…’’ I nodded slowly.

‘’Go and get packing, he’ll be here soon!’’ She smiled and dismissed me. I shook my head as I walked out and back upstairs to my room. Patrick? A lot of money? Sounds like someone my grandpa would be friends with.

How wrong was I…

*a/n first chapter y a y. 

comment/vote/fan*