13

Quinn POV {past}

Alyssa's funeral two days ago, and it was sad.

Very, very sad.

I saw Harry once then he disappeared the rest of the evening, which I found odd.

I'm leaving to go back to Michigan tonight. It feels wrong leaving considering how Harry and I left off.

I get to the hilltop to just sit an relax before I return to my college life. When I pull in, I see Harry's truck there which makes me nervous. 

I park a distance away and just sit in my car, debating on what I want to do. I drum my fingers along the steering wheel, wondering what to do.  I shouldn't just leave because Harry is here. 

That seems like a good reason though. 

As I snap back into reality, a tap on my window causes my body to jerk. I glance to my window and see Harry. My bottom lip goes between my teeth and I nervously roll it down. "Yes?" I ask him.

"Can we talk real quick?" He asks me. We make eye contact which causes my heart to race more. 

"Sure." I say hesitantly. Harry moves away from my door so I can get out. When I do, he stands a distance away, just looking at me.

I lean against the side of my car, waiting for him to speak. "When are you leaving?" He asks after a few minutes of dead silence.

"Tonight," I answer. He nods. "Why?" I ask. 

"Just asking," Harry informs me. "So uh, I just wanted to say sorry for how I," He pauses, running his fingers through his hair. "How I ended us."

I don't say anything because I was hoping he didn't mean it. "So you actually don't want to be with me anymore?" I ask timidly. 

Harry breaks eye contact with me and kicks some rocks under his feet. "I think it's best if we go our own ways." He says.

"That wasn't the question." I say in a sharp tone. 

He looks up at me and licks his pale, pink lips. "I love you Quinn, and that will never stop. I just can't be with you." 

"I'll wait till you're out of the military a-and we'll be fine." I say through a slight stammer. 

His head shakes, which makes my heart pinch. "I don't want you to wait for me." 

"Why?" I ask with furrowed eyebrows.

"Because I have a long time left in the military, and then I'm going to college for four years. I don't want you to wait that long for me." He explains.

"But if I want to be with you, why should the time matter?" I ask curiously. 

"Quinn-" I cut him off.

"I told you that I'd wait." I remind him. 

"Yes, but I don't want you to be alone," Harry says. "I want you to be with someone a-and not worry about me." 

"I want to be with you, no one else." I say sternly. 

"Quinn, please just..." He travels off, shaking his head. 

"Please just what? Accept us breaking up for no good reason?" I ask, my voice raising slightly.

"No, accepting the fact that right now we can't be together. I'm leaving tomorrow and won't be back until my service is done," Harry says. My body freezes by his words and my heart drops. "I'm not going to have internet where I'm stationed at, and I don't want you thinking about me or worrying about me. Overall, I want you to move on." 

"W-When you come back can we be together?" I come up with, ignoring his last sentence of me moving on. Harry remains silent and stares at me with a look. "Why don't you want to be with me?" 

"I do want to be with you, but I can't. We can't be a couple Quinn. In the future, maybe. But right now, no," He says in a gentle voice. I begin to play with the hem of my hoodie as I don't respond. If I speak, I will feel like crying. "I'm not the same person from when I left a year ago Quinn. I'm just--not me and I have terrible mood swings. You deserve better." He rambles towards the end.

I don't respond because tears fill my eyes.

I just look down at my shoes, trying to push away my feelings. 

"Please don't cry," I hear Harry say as his arms wrap around me. This causes drops of tears to roll down my cheeks. "This isn't easy on me." 

"I just want to be with you." I say against his chest. 

"In the future we will." He says before kissing the top of my head. 

"Promise?" I ask. 

"Promise." Harry says, gripping onto my body tightly.

"I love you." I remind him.

"I love you more Quinn." He says while kissing my cheek and the side of my head. 

After our long hug we go our separate ways. 

The thought of being with him in the future lingers in my mind, knowing that it won't happen. 

***

When I got home after the hilltop, I received a text message from Harry, which caused my heart to race. I don't know if I want to read what he sent me, but I did.

Harry: I didn't say this at the hilltop but I wanted to say a massive sorry for how I treated you a few nights ago. a lot was going on and I took my anger out on you, which i'm deeply sorry about. besides that, i just wanted to say, please don't wait for me. and i mean it. please don't. I want you to be with someone who can give you all things that I can't. i don't know if i'm coming back in 3 years, and i don't want you to wait for me. i love you so much Quinn and want the best for you. have a safe flight. 

A://N

helloooo

comment goal: 50??

thank you very much for reading!

~lauren