CH 18 - Time to meet ...the witch

"Are you sure this is the way Yo?" P'Beam asks after a while.

I look around, I understand why he's asking, I don't remember being in this area. I usually just go to my roses, but lately because of things happening I have travelled to new places. I told P'Pha it was a forest, but I'm beginning to realise I've been kept safe, never near the dangerous parts or anything that could hurt me.

What if something is here that could hurt the others, would the forest help? Almost instantly I get a warm feeling, it washes over me, comforting me.

"Yes, it's the right way."

"Why live in the unreachable part?"

"I doubt the old woman has visitors." P'Pha says irritably.

I stop. P'Pha's coming with us, what if the witch hurts him or tires to finish the spell? I was so worried about Ming, and it was just meant to be, I didn't think about him.

"What's wrong Yo?" P'Pha asks gently.

"You can't come." I shout.

"But...Yo..." He looks hurt.

I quickly take his hand. "What if...what if she tried to finish her spell? Or hurt you again?"

"Unhand my brother immediately." P'Beam snaps.

"I think Yo did that." P'Kit says quietly.

"Oi Kit, not the time." P'Beam snaps.

"P'Ahn said the spells not finished." I look at P'Kit. "What if she tries to hurt him?"

I can't stop the fear in my voice, P'Kit pats my head while P'Beam's trying to get me away from P'Pha, but I held his hand tighter.

"Beam, remember you telling me to give up fighting Ming?"

"Yeh?" P'Beam snaps.

"I think you might need to as well."

"Not a bloody chance." P'Beam fumes. "Ming was different, they only met a few times, I refuse this."

"Beam listen to me..." P'Pha starts.

"I didn't give you permission to use my name." P'Beam glares. "And it's sir to you."

P'Pha mumbles something, I don't quite understand. I sent my fear to the forest, and in return, I get a calming hum, like a feeling of it will be fine, I start moving again.

It begins to feel warm, getting warmer the more we walk, this place really is huge it's a big swamp.

"We're going to fall into a pit and never come out." P'Beam sighs.

I panic, I don't want that, I wish Ming was here, he would know what do. All of a sudden out of the dark I hear a dim fizzle, like a match being lit, before a little orb of blue light appears, it stops in front of me and turns slowly. A tiny face appears, it looks shocked seeing me and puffs up, like a cotton ball.

"Hi." I wave. "Do you...know the way through? Please."

I ask smiling, the little light calms down and smiles back at me, before nodding yes.

"Yo, who are you... Willow o wisp." P'Beam shouts. "Bad Omen...bad omen."

The little light looks sad hearing that. I touch it without thinking, gently patting his head. "He didn't mean that sorry."

The little umm guy or girl, I can't tell is very happy after that, taking us through what appears to be a safe path, the forest is humming happily. It isn't long before we are safe out of the swamp, but the light keeps following me, bobbing along in front. It's actually better than the lantern.