54

losing control // russ

"Hey, listen, you're going to be fine," I looked at Austin as we stood outside of my house. We were the last two to arrive at my family's Christmas celebration.

"I have never been so nervous in my life," He wiped his hands and his jeans. "I've never met a girl's parents."

"I don't mean to scare you more but it's not just my parents," I told him, giving him a nervous chuckle.

"What? Oh no, I can't do this," He turned his body completely towards me. "They're going to hate me."

"Stop," I grabbed his face. "Be the Austin I know and they'll love you as much as I do."

"I'm gonna try," He nodded, calming down. "For you."

"Austin, I just want you to have a memorable Christmas," I told him, dropping my arms. "If you truly don't want to be here, you can go."

"No, I want to be here with you," He said. "Just let me breathe."

"It so isn't like you to be nervous," I chuckled.

"It's not like me to meet families," He said. I understood why he was nervous because my family is something else.

"Come on," I grabbed his hand and walked towards my front door.

When I opened the door, the chatter amongst my family stopped and they stared at us. Austin tried to let go of my hand but I gripped it harder. I smiled at everyone, not caring what they thought of Austin.

"Hey guys, this is Austin," I said, introducing him. He waved and smiled at everyone.

"Hi! I'm Mia," My cousin said to him. "This is my husband Tyler."

"Nice to meet you guys," Austin said as Tyler waved at him.

"Hi, I'm Sasha. I'm Mia's mom," My aunt smiled at him.

"I'm Ian," My uncle smiled. "Sasha's husband."

"It's so nice to meet you all," Austin smiled as Mia's kids ran around him.

"Where's everyone else?" I asked, not seeing anyone else in the living room. And I thought we were late.

"Mom is in the kitchen cooking, dad is taste testing. Britney, Caleb and the kids should be here soon. Not sure about everyone else," My dad said to me. I nodded. "But I suppose I need to be introduced to the boyfriend."

"Hi, sir, I'm Austin," He said, reaching out to shake my dad's hand. My dad took his hand and shook it, smiling at him. "Nice to finally meet you. Olivia always talks about you."

"Hopefully not too badly," he laughed. "Nice to meet you, too."

I looked over at my mom who was infuriated. She hadn't said a word since we got here and I frankly didn't care. Her arms were crossed and she was fuming.

"Hi, mom," I waved at her, trying to get her to talk. "This is Austin."

"So I've heard," she gave a sarcastic smile. "Olivia. Can I talk to you in private?"