Chapter 18: The Talk

The tension between us all as we sit around the dining room table is strong to say the least. The pain from Elizabeth's reaction only gets worse as my stress level rises. Sebastian's hand gently brushes against mine under the table. Trying to keep me calm as I begin to speak.

"I've gathered you all here to confess something that I have been hiding for the last few weeks." The confusion on both Finny and Bard's faces becomes evident but Mey-Rin's expression turns to stone. Something that I definitely am not used to.

"Sebastian and I...are in a romantic relationship..." I squeeze my eyes closed tightly as I sigh. Expecting the worst. But when they open the only person reacting differently is my red-headed maid.

"My Lord, who was it that initiated this relationship?" She asks as she takes off her glasses, her voice changing from her usual boisterousness to a seriousness that she uses for her enemies alone.

"I did. I've had feelings for him over the past few years but I couldn't tell anyone because he's not only my servant, he's a man."

"Has he tried to make you do something that you didn't want to do?"

"Not at all. In fact, he has been incredibly patient when it came to the physical side of intimacy. It was my decision to kiss him when we finally did and we haven't went any further."

She quickly shifts from interrogating me to him. "You love him too?"

"I do."

"Do you swear on your life that you will never harm him mentally, physically and emotionally?"

"I swear."

"That you will never force him to do anything that he isn't comfortable with."

"I never will."

"And that you will continue to care for him as long as you both shall live?"

"I promise."

"Then, my Lord, all I ask of you is that you tell me everything if he ever breaks that promise."

"I will, Mey-Rin." With a nod, she places her glasses back on as she breaks into a smile. "Then I will support your relationship however I can. I promise you both, as my Master and as my Master's trusted partner, that none of us will say a word about this relationship without your explicit say so. And that we will be happy to see you together around the Manor. You needn't hide it anymore."

I smile from the relief and from the open acceptance that my servants have portrayed to me. I expected more disgust and distain for our union. Yet, my servants continue to prove their loyalty and compassion towards myself and the Phantomhive name.

If only Lizzy could be the same. I miss her still.

"Thank you all for your time and your acceptance. However I do have one more thing to tell you. I felt guilty about lying to Elizabeth when she began to mention the engagement again, so much so that I ended up telling her. She stormed out of the Manor after slapping me in the face, obviously incredibly hurt. I haven't heard a word from her, or the Midford family as of yet, however I'm worried that she may have spread the word-"

"We will sort that out for you, I have an idea to combat the press if your secret ever comes out."

"And what would that be?"

"Well...you could marry me publicly. Then you would be seen as heterosexual and it still would be a scandal however it would be much lesser than being homosexual. Then Lady Elizabeth would be viewed as a unreliable source of information and your reputation wouldn't be impacted as badly as hers."

Sebastian's expression is turned to one of surprise as he turns to face me. "That was what I was going to propose to you, Ciel."

I don't know how to feel about this. It'd tarnish the Phantomhive name still, but not as much and it'd ruin any chance of happiness for Mey-Rin in a romantic sense. It wouldn't be fair and yet...

It may become our only choice.

I suppose it all depends on Elizabeth's next move.