Chapter 44: Lovebites

"You brought this upon yourself."

"I know, but just because it hurts, doesn't mean that I regret a thing." I agree, gently rubbing a strange salve onto my bruised skin. Wincing each time my hand connects with one. "Besides, you were a little on the rough side, not that I was complaining at the time."

"You certainly weren't, but I would say I got the worst of it if I wasn't a demon. You've clawed my back enough times that I'm starting to believe that you truly are a kitten."

"You've bitten me enough to make me believe you're a bloody vampire." I retort, gesturing towards my bruises caused by his need to mark every inch of me.

"Vampires are just demons who like the taste of blood, you know? It's like wine to them."

"Oh? Then what is mine like to you?" Leaning forward on the bed, I poke his chest to emphasise my final word. Already having an idea of his answer.

"Only the finest whiskey imaginable."

"Whiskey? I wasn't really expecting that."

"I'm a man of whiskey and wine."

"I'll keep that in mind." I'll have to look for ancient whiskeys. The older the better.

"Don't go getting things I don't need, Ciel." I bloody will!

"Of course not~" That's why I bought a tailor made gown for you to wear.

"You better be telling me the truth."

"Of course I am~"

I hold in my laughter as he squints those big red eyes as though he would find something in them that I wouldn't say.

"Wait, would that mean I can't give you myself~?" Why not tease him a little bit further.

"Nope. That, my dear, is what I need the most."

Oh, he took the bait and now I'm the one staring into his eyes. Searching for any doubts.

Not that I would expect any.

I think.

"So, something perishable has become necessary for the survival of an immortal?"

"You're speaking as though we're objects."

"But...couldn't you find someone else with a figure like mine to hold-"

"No, of course not. Not even people who will inherit your soul will be the same person you are now. No one will ever be able to replace you. No one."

"But-"

"Ciel, when will you understand that you are nothing short of perfection? I adore the fact that you are the only human being in the world that I can never seem to predict. This mind of yours is more incredible than even you can fully understand. And this body that mind controls so gracefully, is just as beautiful."

"I order you to tell me if this is just a biased opinion or if this is your truth."

I can feel the tears welling up behind closed eyes as he lips brush against the shell of my ear.

Whispering words that finally make the tears roll down my cheeks.

"It isn't my truth. It's the truth."

For a moment, I lose all control over my actions, tackling my demon to the bed only to rest on top of him. His chuckles sending vibrations throughout my body as my tears assault his shirt.

"Do you realise just how adorable you are?"

"I'm not adorable...just happy."

"I'm glad I make my little blue kitten very happy." He adds as though I were truly his pet, stroking my back ever so gently, as he would with his furry companions.

If only I could call him something special