Chapter 75: Mother

I awaken to an instant awareness of my surroundings from the second my eyes open, my natural instincts startling me to the point of jumping in Sebastian's arms.

A rather difficult start to an otherwise pleasant morning.

A humoured demon seems to have found me so amusing that he can't even find the breath to say "Good morning."

At least someone found it funny.

"And-" He splutters between chuckles. "And you say I'm the dramatic one!"

"I scared myself!"

"I saw! You're the literal definition of a scaredy-cat."

"Literal? You're not one to misuse that word." My confusion oozes from every pour as I listen more intently.

"Can you not tell the class of demon you are, Love?"

"Oh God please don't tell me I'm a cat-"

"Unfortunately for you, and fortunately for me, you are indeed my precious little kitten."

Fuuuuuuuuck

Why must life always revert back to cliches and ironies? An animal I have hated since the beginning, physically and mentally, is technically what I assume to be a spirit animal of sorts.

At least that is what I believe is why animals are assigned to us.

It is almost as though someone who is creating a narrative from my own point of view is currently crafting a story in which they use overused ideas from other stories on the same platform and tries to pass it off as their own through ironic subtext.

But that's just silly.

"How can you tell?"

"Every demon has it's own unique scent and if a demon has a mate, their scents become entwined."

"So do I smell like you?" I can't really tell a difference in my sense of smell. I suppose, like my one sealed eye, it needs time to develop fully.

"Not yet love. Mating is the closest thing to marriage that a demon could possibly get. In light of this, and the fact that you're still developing as a newborn, I think we should wait until the night we wed to become one."

His sincerity moves me enough to leave a kiss on his chin, having accidentally missed his lips.

Even lying here in bed, I am smaller.

"I love that idea. You truly are a romantic at heart."

"You had to learn it from somewhere."

"I'm certain that I learnt it from Shakespeare, just as you learned of your love of roses."

"You remember that lesson?"

"I remember them all. You were never dull, never bland or out of touch. You always explained things in the perfect way. Still do."

"I used to be concerned about my teaching abilities when you were younger. I wasn't sure if you were simply a quick study or if my teaching was working."

"What's wrong with a bit of both~?"

"I know that now. Which is why I'm not as worried about you getting used to demonhood."

"You believe I'll learn quickly?"

"Of course, with a brain like yours I doubt that you wouldn't master your new form within a few weeks. You? Why I bet that you could beat the record."

The thought of a challenge peaks my interest, yet a sudden knock on the bedroom door stops us in our tracks.

"Father, please come to the door." Eliza asks politely, my poor children have been waiting for...I don't know how long, for my return. My dear ones.

Sebastian, in his perpetual state of perfection, leaves our bed to welcome my child. The only person of value who has known of Sebastian's demonhood and lived to tell the tale.

"Is Mother any better? May I see her?" Her voice coarse yet firm. She must've been crying.

"Eliza, I'm alright. Come to me darling." I beckon for her to come to me, only for her to run into my arms. The force of the jump onto my bed leaving me trapped underneath the sprawled out girl.

"I've missed you terribly Mama. Everyone has. You've been in here for two weeks now. We've all heard the vomiting..."

"I assure you that I am completely fine."

"What about your eye?"

"My dearest girl, I am no longer human. Sebastian and I made a deal with a demon that was able to give me the power to conceive and...well, you're going to be a big sister all over again."

The sadness on her sweet little face turns to a bewildered glee. Not knowing how and yet so pleased.

"You're pregnant, Mama?! How-"

"Dark magic, my dear. That is why I was so ill. Morning sickness. I became so ill that we had no choice but to turn me into a demon. I'm so incredibly sorry to worry you this way."

"I-...I'm just so happy I can hardly think!" Eliza's childlike hope shines through her strong maturity as her hand gently rubs my abdomen. The tears that once fell in great loss now fall in happiness.

"I'll never have to suffer the pain of losing my Mother ever again!"