performance

Warnings, none

THIS IS JUST FROM A TINY STORY I WROTE A LITTLE WHILE AGO ITS CALLED "OCEANS FOR BACKYARDS" I ADDED IT TO THIS BOOK CAUSE I CAN AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

My name is y/n, I'm in a band with three of my best friends. We are called "Oceans for Backyards" Myles plays lead guitar, Kailey plays drums, Drew plays bass along with backing vocals, and I am lead vocals and I sometimes play piano or guitar.

We're all pretty dumb in our own way, but after being discovered by the bassist of Black Veil Brides, Ashley, we went on a tour with them and grew significantly.
We were performing a headlining show tonight, in our home town.
I had recently re-dyed my hair silver and was super excited to see some familiar faces.

My parents made me believe I could never be more than the town I grew up in, and I was not very happy growing up. All four of us had some crappy backstory that drew us together.
And so "Oceans for backyards" was formed, all four of us have a tattoo of a wave on us, to symbolize constant change, and growth, much like the waves in the ocean do. We made it our goal to prove everyone that doubted us- wrong, and to the fans that listen, to know they're not alone,

what starts as a ripple can become a wave.

I put on my black leggings, a grey tie-dye tshirt. I let my silver hair dry in loose waves to my waist. I littered my arms with bracelets, slipping on my dark toms.
"Are you ready?" Kailey asked me, ruffling her short blue hair.
I took a deep breath. Giving her a look. "Hey, look how far we've come, you can do this. Prove all those people wrong." She put her hand on my shoulder. I hugged her. "Thanks Kay, I don't know how I'd do this without you."
She smiled wide. "Hey we help too!" Drew called. "Mhmm." I mumbled in a joking tone.
"Let's gooo!!!" Myles practically pushed me to side stage. But we were on stage left, we usually entered stage right, I didn't think anything of it.

We waited to be introduced and we jumped in pre-show jitters. The crowd roared and I felt my adrenaline rise, this was a feeling I could never get sick of.
The dim blue lights of our stage lit up, a visual of waves crashing, peeked behind an old broken fence. The video progressed to go under the water and our name appeared in dark letters on the screen. The four of us walked out while the light was still dark.
The heavy bass of one of our songs called "bite down" began.
The crowed screamed loudly, I could see faces but they couldn't see us.
Once the lights flashed Kailey hit her drums hard.

The high pace, punk rock song had everyone on their feet. The lights revealed us and people cheered. A microphone was tossed from side stage by our manager and I caught it single handedly not a beat before I needed to begin singing.

"Who are you? They ask,
Never taken off this wolf mask.
Bite down hard you'll see,
The darker side of me!" I saw people singing along. They were just as invested in the lyrics as I was. I saw waves drawn on people's hands with marker. It made me feel more confident.

Through most of the first song I did my best to look at all the faces I could, some people crying, the on beat jumping of the people all together, it was an amazing sight. A family that we had created.

"Bite down hard,
Bite down."
I screamed the lyrics as the crowd did as well. A heavy breakdown caused me to feel the bass in my bones, it re-adjusted the speed of my heart to match the rhythm that strung through me.

After a few more songs and lots of dancing spinning, performing, singing my heart out, screaming, jumping so on: I sat cross-legged on the stage floor holding people's hands.
"How are all of you?" I asked, a loud cheer of words came back.
"I wanted to sit down for a minute, just to really talk to you guys. I was always made to believe that I would be nothing more than the town I lived in, I could never amount to anything bigger. But they were wrong, they were wrong because, it's not where you're from that defines you, it's the people you surround yourself with.
They were wrong, and I did everything in my power to prove to them that. I surrounded myself with people I wanted to be around, like you guys, those three, and I proved them wrong, I wouldn't be able to do that without you guys." The crowds cheers cut me off.
I stood up and looked at the faces of people in the crowd grabbing hands and looking people dead in the eye.