First Love

Isabella

Picking Jack up from day care, I had taken a cab home to my apartment.  I had a lot of work to do.  For instance, gotta open up that classified ads.

"Mummy."  Jack brought me one of his old teddy bear.  It was all ready falling apart.  I tried to buy him a new one but he refused to part with this one so instead I had sewed bits and pieces back on.  To say it more look like it was mauled by the lawn mower was an understatement.

"Are you hungry honey."  We only just arrived home with my someone decided to knock at my door.

"Maybe it's dad."  I chirped.  Of course who else would it be and who else would know that I am home right now right.

Opening the door, "Dad."  I smiled but then it falter when it wasn't him.

"Well don't look to shock to see me."  He teased.

"What are you doing here?"  I asked.

"May I come in?"  He gazed at me timidly.

Since when is he that timid.  "Sure Mr. Saunders."

"Are we back to Mr. Saunders again?"

Watching him coming in he sat on my couch, "Only friends go by first name."  I answered hotly while picking up Jack.

Instead I watch him run with little steps towards Dylan giggling, "Hi there son."  Dylan smiled picking him up and carrying him.

"I was just about to make him something to eat, would you like anything?"  I offered.

"No thank you.  Actually I came here because of this."  Holding out my resignation later I watch him tear it up before crumpling it in his hands while Jack sits on his knee just bouncing  on him.  "I reject your resignation."

"Why?"

"Why?  Because in the short amount of time you are one of the most efficient workers I have."  Is that all.

"Why not ask Ms. Ivy Nelson."  I spat her name.

"Someone sounds jealous."  He chuckled.

"I am not.  I honestly thought you were replacing me."

"Replace you with her."  He snickered.

"Well of course, she is beautiful and..."

"And you think what..." Suddenly Jack was on the floor and he was inching himself closer to me only for me to step backwards, "True she is beautiful, body of a goddess, great complexion..."

"Honestly if this is your way asking me to come back to work for you, you have a funny way of showing that."  My hand shoved his chest only he didn't budge one bit. 

"But she is dumb as a rock."  He laughed before turning away from me causing me to slightly shiver at the close proximity we had shared just seconds ago.

"So..."

"I would never replace you.  I just thought out of all my employees you are far better capable even with the patience to teach her so she can stand on her own feet."

"What is she to you?"  I asked curiously.

"Frankly, she's my ex wife."  I was shocked.  I never knew he had an ex wife let alone was married in the past.

But the way he looked at her told me he still loved her.  "I see, do you still love her?"  What the hell did I just ask.  It's none of my business but a part of me hope he would say no.

"Truthfully, a part of me will always love her but the other part can't and won't love her."

Just as I was about to ask more Jack ran up to me, "Mummy, I hungry."  He spoke cutely.

"I'm sorry Jack mummy will make you some fried rice."

Setting him down, I began to fumble in my kitchen while Dylan just stood there gawking at me.

"Are you just going to gawk at me or would you like to help."

"I don't cook." 

"Oh, so who cooks for you?"

"My chef."

"I see, well in my home you will cook."

Smiling I watch him pick up an apron that belong to my dad and gave him a knife.

"So what do I do first?"

"You can cut the onions and the potatoes."

Nodding I watch him begin to cut the onions very slowly I might add.  At this rate we will be eating lunch at dinner.

While he was cutting onions I made sure to prepare the rest.

After my job he was still cutting onions when his hands had slip cutting his thumb a bit.  Blood began to ooze out, "Fu...." Just then I shoved a whole tomatoe in his mouth as he bit down on it.

"No cussing in front of Jack.  He will repeat what ever you say."  Taking the first aid kit from my cabinets I cleaned his wound with alcohol where he had hiss in pain.

"On don't be such a baby."

"But that stings."  He cried like a child.  Men are such babies when it comes to pain.

After all the work we three sat at the table eating what we cook.

"I think this is the best fried rice I have ever eaten."  He shoved a spoon full into his mouth.

"Oh come now I'm sure your chef made fancy one."

Looking around he frowned, "What's wrong?"

"Your dad, he isn't back yet?"

"No, but he'll turn up when he needs money."  Recently I had checked my account and sure there were couple hundreds that went missing so I know he is out there somewhere.

"What if something happened to him?"

"No, he is fine."

"And how do you know."

"Because he has been using my card for miscellaneous things."

"And you let him."  Shock evident in his voice but was now replace with anger, "Why?"

"Because he is my dad and it is my job to take care of him."

Dylan expression grew sad, "No, you are his daughter it is his job to take care of you, not the other way around."

What he said is true but he is the only parent I have left.  So I left it at that.

"Why did you come for me?  You could honestly get Ivy back.  I could tell she wants you back."

"That will be never."  He scoffed.

"Oh really.  It didn't seem like that in New York."

"I told you nothing happened?"

"That's not what Ivy said."

He grew quiet as if he was reliving a memory, "I'm sorry I know it's not my place but can't help a girl for trying."

"Look, we are friends so as friends we share each other secrets."  He paused before continuing. "I admit I was maybe still am attractive to her and we did got a little flirty but I had put an end to it and that's it.  Nothing and I mean nothing will ever happened between us."  He clarified.

"Okay if you say so."

"I do say so, now are you going to come back to work for me, or do I have to drag you there."

"Do I have to train Ivy."

"If training Ivy is the reason why you don't want to work for me I will send her on another floor to work."  I know I am being petty but I can't help the way I feel.  And right now I feel like Ivy is a threat to what I have.

I had experience what it is like to have a close friend, to have someone to talk to, to have a stable job to have money in which I can afford to buy things for Jack, and I feel that with Ivy being there, I might loose the things that matter the most. 

Namely Dylan Saunders.  If he had loved her, it is said you can't forget your first love.  Was she his first love?