Jack Stone

Isabella

"Mummy."  My little boy Jack crying for me, holding out his arms as he is wondering why I am letting a couple of strangers hold him.

"Please, don't do this."  I pleaded and begged.

The two people who now stood at the entrance of my door held on to a crying Jack.  He was throwing up his hands in the air, wiggling but the woman had held him tightly.

"You are hurting him."  I spoke, "Please give him back to me."

"I'm sorry but this is the best interest of the child."  The elderly man spoke.

"How, you tell me how.  I am his mother."  I defended.  "How is taking my child away best interest of my own child."  My voice was now sobbing.  "Please give me back my child."

Here stood two people a man and a woman from social services.  They had surprised visited me today and with everything going on, it most definitely caught me by surprise.

I knew answering the door at four thirty in the evening was a mistake in my part.  I mean no one visits me at this time.  I shouldn't have answered.  And well I have been at it for the past thirty minutes trying to persuade these people that I am capable of taking care of my own son.

And where was my dad in all this, he was out somewhere who knows where probably out trying to drink himself drunk again.  I haven't seen him since our last dinner where he said he was going out to find a job and that was last week.  Not once had he came home at all.  Unfortunately I didn't have time to worry about him when my son is about to go into foster care.

"We had tried to call you on your cell phone just to check on you but you didn't answer so instead we had to come here personally.  And thank god we did because if not Jack would still be here going hungry."

Did he just insult me.  Jack is never hungry.  They just burst into my apartment looking around and opening my fridge.  Who the hell do they think they are?

"You can't really do this!  This is trespassing.  I could call the cops on you."

"Go ahead," The man snickered, "This will only just escalate the inevitable.  We will still take your son for negligence."  I growled at the man.  How dare he threaten me and accused me of neglecting Jack.  Not once have I not paid attention to him.  He is my world, and source of strength.  If they take him away I don't know what I would do.

How the hell would they know of my predicament anyway.

"We had gotten a call from his pediatrician and he was worried that Jack may be malnourished so it was in his right to voice his concern."  He answered the question I was looking for.

Stupid doctor.  I went to him to heal my son and this is the outcome.  I was suppose to do a follow up on Jack's health tomorrow seeing it has been a week since we last saw the good o'l doctor but now I will be switching pediatrician.

"I'm sorry Ms. Stone, but we have to do what is good for the child.  But don't worry once he is put in the system, we will make sure he is well taken care of and go to a good family."

How is this good for him.  He is crying, begging me to protect him, to hold him, to carry him, to soothe him down.

"No.  I will not let you take him away.  He is mine."  I attempted to take him back but was only stop by a stuck up elderly man.

"Mummy."  Jack cried reaching out to me struggling to get out of the man's grasps.  "Mummy, Mummy."  His voice now cracking up.

"Can't you see, he doesn't want to go with you. You are hurting him. How is this good for him, you tell me?  You are traumatizing him."

The woman sighed, "He is young for now and he will soon be happy with another family."

"I am his family."  I yelled.  I was now causing a scene as my neighbors peered at what was going on.  Nosy neighbors.

"Please don't take him from me."  This time I was down on my knees.  I don't care if I have to beg.

The woman looked at me sadly, "I'm sorry but..."

"You're sorry, you're sorry!  Do not say that.  How can you say you are sorry when you are taking my child away from me.  Don't you have children of your own.  Please help me out."

The woman glance at me with remorse and guilt in her eyes, "I can see you are a good mother trying to do what is best for your child and your son shows that he rather be with you but..." she paused, "Think about him.  His future, if you love him let him go to a family who can provide for him."

I was stumped how can I ever think that.  I could provide for him.  Of course I could.  After all I was in the midst of finding another job.

Flashes of memory flashes through my mind of the next toy he wanted but was unable to afford it or the food that he couldn't eat because for the past few days he has been eating the same thing, eggs and spam.

My eyes were now burning with tears, "No, I will do better please.  I will look for another job.  You can't take him away from me."  I held out my hands trying to at least hold Jack's hand in mine.

"Ms. Stone, I am sorry but this is out of our hands.  Our supervisor has asked us to check up on you and the fact you cannot even put milk in the fridge tells me you are incapable of providing for your own son.  Do you want him to starve?  How will you provide him with his education."  The man annoyingly spoke.

How can he say that?  Can they even say that?  I am a good mother I know that.  I had always made sure I fed him and clothed him.  And because of him, I worked hard just so I could at least put food on the table.

"I tell you what, you can do?"  The woman continued, "Finish college, get a well paying job and maybe when the time is right you can claim your son back." 

Can I do that?  But I have about two more years till I finish college.  Two years of being without Jack.  What if he forgets me?  What if the family he is with doesn't want to give him back?  What if Jack rather be with his new family because of all the things they can do for him.  Questions plague my mind.

Jack is only one years old, his mind is still young. Two years is a long time then I have to get a stable job.  It can even take more than just two years.  By then he will be big and he will forget me.

"No! I want Jack now."  My breathing hitched. 

"I'm sorry Ms. Stone truly I am, but this is out of our hands."

The two of them took steps back as I continue to call for Jack's name.

"Mummy."  His voice calling out for me, Jack!  "Please."  Jack can say a few sentences but please and thank you is what he says best.  "Mummy, please."  Hearing Jack cry and beg for me had broken my heart.

I tried to step around, trying to block their path but I was shoved causing me to trip and fall on my knees.  By know the carpet was filled with my tears.

"Please give him back.  Please don't take him."  My chest was getting heavy, my eyes blurred, my voice growing tired from crying, "Please don't take him away, please Jack.  Mummy is here."

"What the fuck is going on in here?" I froze not recognizing that frightening voice. My eyes rooted towards the ground as I felt a hand gripping the side of my arms hoisting me up gently.

What the hell he was doing here and how did he find me.

Please comment and vote for next chapters thank you for reading