Chapter Eleven

Laura returned shortly, a bottle of water in her hand. She sat next to me in silence for the rest of the day, both lost in our memories of her family.

Day slowly changed into night, the light faded and the stars began to shine. I hadn't seen the hooded figure since our encounter. I took her hand and said:

"We should go home."

She nodded and stood up slowly, as I helped her. I knew that she was exhausted from the emotions of the day and being hungover.

We walked back to the car and I drove her home in silence. Mum was waiting in the hall, as I unlocked the door.

"Is everything okay?" she asked.

"Fine mum." I replied.

I took Laura's hand and began to lead her upstairs.

"Where are you two going?" she asked.

"Laura is upset so she is going to sleep in my room tonight." I stated slightly impatiently.

"Remember what I told you Ashton."

"No, I don't remember that Mum." I sighed.

"Not to get distracted by girls, you have a great opportunity with this band, don't throw it away. You'll have your pick of girls once the band kicks off." she announced.

I stared at her in complete shock. I couldn't believe she had just said that, especially in front of Laura. I rolled my eyes and continued walking up the stairs, Laura following closely behind. We went into my room and I closed the door. She sat on the corner of my bed and stared at the floor. I squatted in front of her and gazed into her eyes. I could see she was about to cry again.

"You can sleep in my bed with me tonight if you want, I don't want you to be alone."

I rummaged in my drawer and handed her my teenage mutant ninja turtle t-shirt. She took it silently and went into the bathroom to change.

I sighed and ran my hands through my hair. I never knew what to say to her when she was upset. I wanted to take away her pain, but had no idea how to do so. She returned from the bathroom wearing my top. It was big on her and reached to the middle of her thighs. Even wearing my baggy top she looked amazing. She smiled slightly as I looked at her. She blushed and looked at the floor making her way to my bed and climbing in quickly pulling the covers over her body. I could see that she was self conscious. I climbed into my bed next to her and pulled her towards me, holding her tightly as I stroked her arm. She leant her head on my chest and cried and cried until eventually she was so exhausted she fell asleep.