Chapter Fifty Five

The journey to the airport was uncomfortable. I couldn't get Ashton's face out of my head. He looked so wounded, I never wanted to see him like that.

"I thought he'd be able to convince you to stay." Luke said sadly.

I considered his words. "I guess I'm stronger than people think." I sighed, as I looked down at my hand. It looked so bare without the ring. I stroked the locket that was still hanging around my neck.

"Where will you go?" Luke asked sadly.

"Back to Australia, I'll stay in a hotel till I can find a flat share, I guess." I said sighing.

"I don't like not being around to protect you." he whispered.

"It's okay, I can take care of myself." I replied quietly.

Neither of us spoke for the rest of the car journey. Once Luke had parked up we walked slowly through to the departure lounge.

"So, I guess this is where we say goodbye." he said softly.

"Yeah, I guess it is." I replied.

He pulled me into a hug.

"Promise me, you will keep in touch." he said.

"Of course, we'll meet up next time you are home." I told him.

"I look forward to it." he said smiling down at me.

I smiled at him and turned away, as my gate number was called.

"Luke!" I called after him.

"Yeah?" he asked.

"Take care of Ashton for me." I asked.

He smiled and gave me a thumbs up.

I turned and walked through the departure gate, towards my new life.

Luke's POV

It was so hard not to run after her and beg her to stay. I kept walking, placing one foot in front of the other, almost in a daze. I would miss her so much. I got into my car and began to drive home. I was worried about her. I always worried about her. As I neared the hotel, I became increasingly nervous about seeing Ashton. Would he be angry with me for giving her a lift.

I quietly opened the door to the hotel lobby, and saw Ashton still sitting on his knees, exactly where we left him. He was no longer crying, but sitting staring at the floor.

"Ashton, are you okay?" I asked him.

He nodded without looking at me. As I stood for a moment and watched him, I saw that he was just staring in to space, not reacting to anything.

I pulled him up by his elbow, and guided him upstairs. He still didn't react.

"Get some sleep." I told him, as I opened his bedroom door, and he walked inside.

Ashton's POV

I awoke the following morning, relieved that it was just a dream. My heart had been aching so bad for her, that I had to hold her tightly and never let her go again. I turned over and saw that the bed was empty. She had gone. I felt the events of the night come flooding back to me. I knew, with a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach that she had left me forever. I would never see her again, and the thought of it hurt like hell. I buried my face under the pillows and tried to fall asleep. I knew that if I could just have a dream, she would be there.