43

Kyrin

Kyrin

I sat in my office as I talked with the new superintendent of the district. He was a nice man— or at least that's from what I have seen and heard thus far.

"So, we can organize something Principal Broussard. We need a high school principal and your scores test wise have set this district in another ranking. They're extraordinary and amazing. You came highly demanding from my coworkers and I would really like if you at least let me tell you more." He told me.

I had explained to him that I didn't want to leave Eissa yet but the man talked a good game. I couldn't take that from him.

Smiling softly, I chuckled. "Now Superintendent Johnson—."

"Doug." He corrected out of flattery.

"Doug..." I took his suggestion. "My son..."

"I hear that. I do. So I'm willing to compromise. High school gets out three hours earlier than elementary school, so you can come and check on him anytime. Just listen to me for a second here."

Hesitating, I nodded. "Okay, I'm listening."

"Like I stated when we spoke on the phone, I'll let you leave this school in it's best interest. You'll have a say in who you want the principal to be. I'll give you that voice as long as you give me your word that you'll start as our new high school principal."

I'd never worked with teenagers as much as little children but I was always up for a challenge. That was one thing about me, I was not closed off towards change.

"Carmen." I replied kind of shocking myself. "Carmen Jones. If you want the scores to stay high and the discipline to stay in order. She's your best chance."

Even though we haven't and will never be best friends again... I still had love and respect for that girl. Even though she had none for me, I was never built like that. She deserved it as much as I do.

He nodded. "Alright. You mentioned that when we spoke on the phone. I emailed her before I came today and I'll meet with her on it." 

"Okay." I answered as I made my decision. "I'm in. When do you want me to start?"

"Take a week, give us a chance to clear out this office and move it to the high schools and you can very well start next Monday."

"You're kidding."

"Next Monday Ms. Broussard." Doug firmed it but only to let me know that he was serious.

Smiling, I nodded. "Well next Monday, I'll be there."

We both stood as we shook hands. "It's been a pleasure to finally meet you in person. Thank you for taking this, I know it's abrupt and out of nowhere but I know you're the best woman for the job."