48

Janet

Janet

We stopped to get something to eat from Whataburger. Which was an amazing spot and I didn't see why we didn't have a chain of it in LA.

"Geez, this makes me miss Texas." Kyrin mumbled from beside me as we ate while Joey drove us towards the prison. For as long as we've been riding, I'd say we were close.

"This is my first time trying this and I'm pretty impressed. Why didn't we get a chain of Whataburger's in LA?"

Kyrin laughed. "Bae, it's so cute that you say What-A-Burger."

"Why?" I asked in confusion.

"Cause in Houston we smooth say, Waterburger. I don't know who started it or why it's made it to the 21st century, but it's there."

"Why Water-burger though?"

Kyrin shrugged. "I don't know. It just happened and not a lot of people have questioned it. It might be just a southern thing because my bougie family members say What-A-Burger."

I laughed. "I would love to meet your bougie family members."

"I'll let them know."

"We are pulling up guys." Joey announced.

My fiancé sighed deeply before shaking her hands. "Geez, I am nervous. Really. Really. Nervous."

"Don't be nervous."  I grabbed her hand. "It'll be fine." Her phone started ringing and I looked and saw it was Sarah. I answered. "Hey Sarah."

"Hey, this prison is gonna be hard for Kyrin, so you may have to walk her through this."

"Yeah. Of course I know. We will talk when we get up here."

"What'd she say?" Ky asked me.

"Sarah told me to make sure you were alright."

Kyrin nodded. "I'll be fine. I'm a Broussard."

My baby had an awful habit of doing this. Of acting fine and holding things in. Then she boils over and let's her anger out, expresses herself for not even an hour and right back to same ole Kyrin we go. She still felt like emotions were signs of weaknesses but the ability to feel— well that was also a strength.

"Being a Broussard doesn't make you invincible." I told her as we parked.

"No. It doesn't." She replied as she opened the door and got out. "But it sure as hell tries to."

I followed and got out with Joey on side of me. He sent me a look of worry and I nodded in understanding of it. We were both worried. We didn't know what Kyrin was going to do once she got inside which was not good because this woman kept us on our toes when it came to her reactions.

We walked through everything needed to see her mother. Including security. Joey, Juliette and Langston stayed back. Sarah, Kyrin and I walked into the room with the other visitors. People didn't go crazy about me being there, but some nodded my way and I knew that the conversation was probably on why Janet Jackson was in a prison with her girlfriend and a minister.