Season 8 Episode 1

I followed Tucker up the dune. We had been here for a few weeks, My rib healed enough it didn't have to be wrapped and the bump went down on my head. Tau had completely analyzed the data card. On it was entire documents to create a person from nothing. We had talked it over and decided to use them. As far as the outside world knew, I was Talia Gorge, former member of the UNSC who ended up on the front lines and lost my voice to a knife to the throat. Tau activated the data card and it place that information perfectly into the systems with no problems. Now, I existed and it would help keep my identity hidden. I picture ID part was a face similar to mine but different enough to not place me as the same person. It also had my dyed strawberry blonde hair.

We reach the top of the dune to see Grif just staring at the dunes.

"Hey Grif, what's up?" Tucker said.

"Hm? Oh. Hey Tucker. Hey mute lady." Grif said, looking back out over the dunes.

"What're you doing?" Tucker asked.

"Well, Sarge told me to bury all the bodies from our battle..." Grif said.

"That's a lotta graves. Lotta holes to fill. Bow chicka bow wow." Tucker said.

I smacked the back of Tucker helmet. He hardly reacted beyond looking at me and rubbing the back of his helmet. I could only imagine the glare directed at me right now. But, Tucker's comment was pretty awful.

"And now I can't find 'em, because the bodies were piled up over here, by these stone pillars, and then the wind came and blew sand all over the damn things." Grif said.

Silence fell for a second. My head felt empty because Tau went into temporary shutdown due to not much happening.

"So I guess they're already buried. Good job dude." Tucker said.

I nearly snorted.

"I like the way you think." Grif said.

I look down the hill to see Sarge approaching.

"Grif, what the hell are you doing up here? I thought I told you to bury those... bodies. What?" Sarge said, staring out at where the bodies were.

"He did, he buried the shit out of them, look." Tucker said. I rolled my eyes.

"What the- I only gave you that order five minutes ago. How'd you do it so fast? Did you help him? Or you, weird mixed colors lady?" Sarge said.

I signed, 'Ummm... that sounded vaguely racist to me. Also, no, I just finish a meditation session.'

"She said that what you said there sounds racist and I agree, also, she was meditating until she saw me and followed." Tucker said.

"What medi-whata-what?" Grif asked.

"Oh it's this weird thing she did back on Blood Gulch, where she laid out a mat in her room and lit a ton of candles before holding completely still while sitting for hours on end." Tucker said.

"Sign me up for that! Doing nothing for hours? Sounds like the best part of my day." Grif said.

"Why sit there and do nothing? You are another Grif aren't you?" Sarge asked, looking at me.

I signed, 'Nope, Meditation is good for the mind and soul, allows you mind to... reset and be refreshed.' 

"Uhh.... she said something along the lines of 'is refreshing' and 'cleans the mind and soul'." Tucker said, looking at me, probably in confusion.

"Huh." Was all Sarge said, telling me he was completely lost.

"So, Tucker, did you help him?" Sarge asked to get away from the meditation conversation.