16. Dreams Do Come True But Not Just In New Orleans

If there was one thing Cas enjoyed about being human, it was dreaming. He felt so happy and carefree when he dreamed. He dreamed whatever he wanted. Most often, he'd dream about Dean.

They'd be in this big open meadow together, talking about things that Cas later forgot about. They'd kiss many times, but being the naive character that he was, Cas didn't think too much of it. He didn't really know much about love.

He never wanted to wake up. It was always a burden, consciousness. He wished he could sleep forever and dream of his hunter without end.

One day, it was a Tuesday, Cas knew this because Sam kept complaining, he and Dean were in the library. Cas wanted to strike up a conversation, but his "people skills" were a bit "rusty".

He really wanted to talk about his dreams, but he was afraid that Dean would think it was weird and everything would be awkward and it would make the dreams awkward and Cas didn't want the dreams to be awkward. He was pretty sure "awkward" was a bad thing.

And the silence he was forced to endure? Most definitely awkward.

"It's too quiet in here." Dean spoke up, pulling Cas from his thoughts. He didn't expect Dean to talk, so he jumped slightly. He really hoped Dean didn't notice that. If he did, he kept it to himself. Cas cleared his throat.

"Yes, it is too quiet. That's a bad thing, right?"

Dean chuckled. "In this case, yeah."

"Would 'awkward' be the right word?" He formed air quotes around "awkward".

"Yeah. And you don't need the air quotes for everything."

Cas nodded. "Right." Even more awkward silence. Cas had to think of a topic of discussion, the silence was just overwhelming.

"So how are things?" Dean asked. Cas found that whenever he tried to think of something to talk about, Dean managed to speak up. He was like a savior.

"What sort of things?"

"I dunno. How're you handling the whole human thing?" Now he could casually bring up the dreams without it being too awkward.

"It's not all bad. I do enjoy sleep."

Dean smiled. "I'd expect nothing less."

"Dreaming is certainly a... perk. It's time I have all to myself." Though he knew it wasn't just himself.

"Sorta like your 'me time'." Cas tilted his head to the side.

"How did you know that I was dreaming about you?"

Dean's face lost all expression. "What?"

"You said it's my 'you time'. How did you know?"

Dean chuckled a bit uncomfortably. "No, Cas, I meant it was your 'you time'. Like you have your 'you time', I have my 'me time'."

Cas was thoroughly embarrassed. He mentally kicked himself. He felt like such an idiot. He felt his cheeks start to heat up.

"I'm sorry. I've made things 'awkward' haven't I?" He murmured.

"No, no, it's fine. You, uh, you've been dreaming about me?"

"Yes. Are you mad?"

"Cas, why would I be mad? People dream about crazy things all the time. It's not like you had control over it."

"But I did."

"You what?"

"I did have control over it. I wanted to dream about you. I wanted to share my 'me time' with you." There was a long pause during which they just stared at each other.

"So, in these dreams, what were we doing?"

"Talking. In a meadow. I can never remember what we would discuss. And then, sometimes, most times, we would do this."

Cas placed his hand on the back of Dean's neck and pressed their lips together. Dean's eyes widened at the unexpected turn of events, but he soon closed his eyes and kissed Cas back. He caressed his face in his hands and kept kissing him passionately.

They stopped and smiled at each other.

"I wish I was still an angel. I could appear in your dreams and we can be alone. Unless you conjure up your own interrupting moose."

"Trust me, that'd never happen."

They started kissing again, until Sam said, "Oh, my, god."

They jumped out of their chairs and turned to face Sam, who was jaw-dropped.

"Sam-"

"No friggin way!" He interrupted Dean.

"Dean, I believe you have conjured up your own interrupting moose." Cas murmured.

"I can't believe it is finally canon! This is so going on Twitter!"