33. Dear Diary

Sam and Dean returned to the bunker from a hunt late one night to find Cas asleep in the library, sitting at the table. He seemed like he had fallen asleep writing in a book.

Dean approached him and shook his shoulder a bit. "Cas, you awake?" He whispered. He got no response.

He glanced at the book Cas had been writing in. What few words he could make out piqued his interest.

He tried to tell himself not to look, since it seemed like it was personal to Cas. But he was relentlessly curious.

He carefully removed Cas's makeshift pillow from underneath him and flipped to the first page.

October 1st:

Dear journal, or diary, or whatever this book is meant to be called, I've been told that it is a good idea to have one of you to write about my day. For example, today I've started writing in a journal. Or diary. I'm not entirely sure, as I have heard it phrased in these two different manners. I guess that's all that's happened. Okay, goodbye, I suppose.

October 2nd:

Dear diary, for sake of argument, not much happened today. I'm still a human, one of the reasons I'm here at the bunker. Sam and Dean have ventured on a hunt. I wanted to go, but Dean insisted that I stay here. He's been rather overprotective of me lately, which I assume is because of me losing my grace. Oh, I forgot to mention this yesterday, but I have been experiencing these human emotions. There's one in particular that continues to allude me. Perhaps I will figure it out.

October 3rd:

Dear diary, I still have not uncovered this strange new emotion, but I believe it has something to do with Dean. It has become quite a hassle. For some reason, I feel this emotion in my stomach most often. Perhaps it's a virus. Humans are susceptible to illnesses, perhaps I have one of them. I'm not sure.

October 4th:

Dear diary, are you supposed to write me back? I just assume this because of the "Dear diary". It seems as though I'm writing to a living thing. And I'm being disregarded. Quite often. If this is how I'm going to be treated, then I suppose I will return the favor.

October 7th:

Dear diary, I didn't realize you were just a book. Sorry. Not much happened these past few days.

October 8th:

Dear diary, I'm starting to wish you were real. I would like to hear a response telling me anything. Some advice about this mysterious emotion, perhaps. I don't see how writing to an inanimate object would help. No offense. But it would be nice to get a second opinion. I could use some words of wisdom.

October 16th:

Dear diary, I know it's been a while, but being human is hard work. Even now everything is so new to me. Eating, sleeping, urinating, it's all very strange. Although, I must admit, sleeping is definitely a bright spot. But this emotion I told you about still gets to me. I feel it in my stomach, it has everything to do with Dean, I'm a bit concerned. I know as much about emotions as you do. No offense. Can emotions affect your physical health? Not that you could answer me. Even if you could, you probably wouldn't. I won't take it personally, the other angels are the same way. I've prayed to them, asking for guidance. So far, none of them have responded. It doesn't surprise me. I'm a lost cause.

October 17th:

Deer diarrhea, I hav discovvered alcohal. It is vary efffected my brian. Yoo shood try it____

There was a line at the end of that entry, probably because he passed out. There were two more entries.

October 18th:

Dear diary, I apologize for my drunken state the previous night. I now have a "hangover" as Dean calls it. And I believe I have some idea of what this emotion is. Before I share this with you, I shall consult Sam's computer, known as "Google". According to him, it is all knowing.

October 20th:

Dear diary, I have confirmed my theory. I would've told you about this yesterday, but I forgot. Sorry. This emotion, the one that is centered around Dean, is common in society. It has kept me awake, much to my dismay. It has also rendered me without an appetite, which I also find disappointing. Perhaps if I confess this feeling, I can get some rest, at last.

With this emotion, I feel happy whenever I'm with Dean. Whenever we are apart, I just wait for him to come back. And write to you, of course. Whenever we talk, I forget about my woes, and I seem to get lost in those green eyes of his. I I know that I have always been happy around Dean, but lately, since I've become human, it's more than just happiness. This seems to be working, as I'm growing tired. More so than usual. I believe that this emotion I feel toward Dean is lo-

The entry remained unfinished. Cas must've fallen asleep writing the last word. Dean knew exactly what that word was.

All of a sudden, he thought of something brilliant.

He flipped to the next empty page and took Cas's pencil.

October 20th:

Dear Cas, this is your journal. I know you've called me your diary, but journal sounds way better. Okay, so this emotion you've been dealing with. You're right. It is love. And love is something you should act upon. The next time you see Dean, tell him how you feel. I'm sure that he'll take it well. Just follow your instincts wherever they lead you. While, yes, emotions can potentially affect you, it's usually for the better. Don't hold out on your love for him. You never know when you've wasted your last chance. Go to him and confess. You won't regret it.

He looked down at Cas and smiled. He knew now that Cas loved him back. There was no doubt now.

He carefully lifted Cas in his arms bridal style and, with the journal, took him to his room. And he knew that soon, they would share their own room.

He kissed Cas on the forehead and turned off the light. He went to his lonely little bedroom, anticipating a restless night. But he eventually managed to get some sleep.

._.__.~The Next Morning~.__._.

Dean awoke to Cas knocking on his door. He looked up at him groggily.

"Yeah, Cas?"

"I, uh... there's something I feel the need to tell you."

Dean did his best to curb his excitement as he said, "What is it?"

Cas sat down at the foot of the bed. "Since I became human, I've been feeling emotions. One in particular, I feel very strongly."

"And that would be?" He attempted to hide his gleeful smile.

"Love. Towards... you, in fact."

He barely got the words out before Dean jumped up and pressed their lips together. This surprised him, but he wasn't going to complain.
They separated and touched foreheads. Neither of them could resist smiling.

"You know that I know it was you that wrote that entry, right?"

"Oh, well. At least I wasn't going for keeping it a secret."

"It was a nice gesture. I loved it. And I love you."

"I love you too, Cas."

(A/N: YAAY IT'S SO HAPPY!! I came up with this because of a sad one shot by @weirdisinteresting. I fluffened things up a bit. SHERLOCK IS RETURNING IN NOVEMBER OH MY DEAN'S FATHER IN LAW!! XD WHO ELSE IS EXCITED?? Okay, I've gotta go. Homework in Spanish. And math. And English. Oh, god, help me.)