21. Apple Or Blueberry?

Cas was a regular customer at the pie shop across the street from his apartment. He'd gotten to know the owner, John, a little. But one day, everything changed.

He walked into the shop and saw, not John, but a beautiful young man behind the counter.

His hair was a flurry of light brown and blonde and his eyes were the greenest green to ever green. Too green to be true. There were adorable light freckles on his cheeks and the bridge of his nose.

"Can I help you?" The young man asked.

"Um, is John Winchester here today?"

The young man seemed a bit stung by the question, but he covered it up. "No. He's not here."

"Do you know when he'll be back?"

"He's not coming back. He can't come back."

Cas started to understand the meaning behind his words. "You don't mean...?" The man looked at him with terribly sad eyes.

"Yeah." His voice was just barely above a whisper.

"My condolences. Who are you then?"

"Dean. I'm his son." Cas felt overly sorry for this Dean. He didn't know John even had a son. Though, in retrospect, he didn't know John that much to begin with. They just talked a little.

"When did he... if you don't mind my asking?"

"This morning. Died in his sleep. So... what can I get you?" Finally, a change of subject.

"Um... a slice of pie, thanks."

"Apple or blueberry?"

"Blueberry."

Dean got him his pie, and before Cas could pay him, he said, "Don't worry, it's on the house."

"No, I can't do that."

"I insist. What was your name?"

"Castiel." Dean smiled, making Cas's heart flutter.

"Nice to meet you, Castiel."

Cas ate his pie, remembering an important question.

"I've been coming here for a year and a half now, and there's something that has always alluded me."

Dean smiled. "And what's that?"

"The mysterious, well hidden, ever so precious secret ingredient." Dean chuckled.

"Sorry, it's called a secret for a reason."

Cas sighed. "Do you have to be so... stubborn?"

"What can I say? It's my job. This secret ingredient has been in the Winchester family for years. Serving people, baking things. The family business."

"Did you just make that up?"

"I guess you could say it's our motto. My grandfather, Henry, came up with it."

"It's pretty good." Cas smiled. He really rather liked Dean. He was a lot more fun than John. And just as secretive.

He spent the next week getting to know him better, and he was a great guy. He still hadn't been able to figure out that secret ingredient, but he'd get there. Eventually.

Everyday, Cas walked in the shop, and Dean would always say, "Apple or blueberry?" even though he knew the answer.

Cas would smile and say, "Blueberry."

But one day was different.

He walked in.

"Apple or blueberry?"

"Blueberry."

When he started eating his pie, he felt something in his mouth. It felt like a small piece of paper. He took it out and looked at it. It said, "Are you free Friday night?"

He glanced over at Dean, who was watching him expectantly. Cas smiled and took a paper napkin from the dispenser. He took his pen from his coat pocket and wrote something down on it. He smiled at Dean and walked out.

Dean eagerly read the napkin. It had his phone number and apartment number. "Dinner at seven. My place. Bring pie. XO".

Dean grinned like the Cheshire Cat. He got his cell phone from his pocket and texted Cas.

Dean: apple or blueberry?

Cas: both