Chapter 67 - Cruelty

[unedited]

Arriving at the university late in the afternoon, Can scanned the area while flying above in the sky. He noticed that there were not a lot of changes since he left. The golden statue of the founder of the university still stood proudly. Tall and large buildings that represented its prestige were still standing. There were new constructions that were being implemented as part of the university's ongoing expansion. Students come and go as they talk and laugh with one another. Still, observing closely, he did sense a divide amongst the students as they walked using separate paths. The beast summoners walked only with the other beast summoners and their allies. Similarly, elementalists walked with their own and their allies. For those who joined the Worshippers of the New World, he could not tell.

Descending from the sky, the Great Black Raven landed in front of the building where the office of Master Khang was located. With Pond by his side, Can went in after saying farewell to their ride.

Soon the two reached their destination. Can was nervous. He was not sure how he would react when he sees his master. He hoped he would not be too emotional although he expected that he would be once they meet. At the same time, he was not even sure how his odd old master would react when he sees him.

Taking a deep breath as he closed his eyes momentarily, Can knocked on the office door of Master Khang.

"Master Khang, it's Can. May I come in?" Can said with a nervous tone in his voice.

After waiting for a few moments, no answer came inside. There was only silence. Can tried once again, but it was the same result.

He looked at Pond then looked at the doorknob. Gripping the doorknob slowly, Can turned it and pushed the door.

As he entered the room, as expected, Master Khang was not there. While he looked around at the unchanged room, he noticed the dust that already accumulated on his master's desk as Pond slid his index finger on it and a black mark became apparent on the finger. It seemed that what Techno told him earlier was true. His master must be spending most of his time in Phoenix Garden.

Without wasting any time, Can asked Pond to move aside from the center of the room in order to call Tao Gunka. Reaching for the small totem similar to the appearance of Tao Gunka from his storage ring, Can would use it to summon the beast. It was a gift by the old man before he went to the Beast Gods' Dimension.

 It was a gift by the old man before he went to the Beast Gods' Dimension

(A/N: Tao Gunka from Chapter 28. )

Loading some of his spiritual energy on the totem, Can summoned Tao Gunka.

As the small totem illuminated the entire room then faded within a blink, a giant totem appeared in the center of the room.

"TAAAAOOOO GUNKAAAA," the giant totem beast happily exclaimed as if excited to see the person who summoned it.

"Tao Gunka?" ("Eh? Where is that boy?")

With a smile on his face, Can said with enthusiasm, "I'm over here Tao Gunka!"