Chapter 17- The Bet

Chapter 17- The Bet

I entered Vivians house, well more like forced into her house. She was making me decorate the house since she needed another pair of hands. The orange scent she always had drifting around, immediately whiffed past my nose as I stepped inside. Mr and Mrs Miller would be back tomorrow, since they had gone to visit a friends house back in Pittsburgh.

When I walked into the living room, I found Jack laying on the couch watching TV lazily. I sneakily stepped behind thee couch, hovering over his head. "I'm sorry to dissapoint, but Megan Fox is way out of your league," I whispered, referring to the movie he was watching.

He jolted up out of fright. "Fuck! Shit, you scared the crap out of me." He flinched as he scrambled up to hug me. "I'm glad to finally see the sister I've never had."

I heard Vivian clear her throat. "I'm still here you know, your actual biological sister," she rolled her eyes. Served her right for being Dads favourite. "The violation is immaculate."

"Right, I forgot that Mom and Dad had you," he teased. He loosened his hold on me and took a peek at my costume. "Why the hell are you dressed as a geek?" He flicked my fake glasses.

I adjusted my glasses back on the bridge of my nose. "I'm not a geek, I'm Dwight, and it's for Halloween," I said and dug inside the boxes on the floor.

I found and unraveled some fake cobwebs similar to the ones that were at school.

"Who the hell are you supposed to be, Cupid?" He directed towards Vivian.

Vivian glared at him in disbelief because she took hours preparing her outfit. "No I'm Katniss. And since when does Cupid wear all black?"

"I don't know." He shrugged helplessly. "Maybe Satan Cupid."

Yeah ... because that's a thing.

"So did anyone win the competition for best costume this year?"

"Yeah, one of our friends who dressed up as another friend," I informed him while glancing around the house to only find out that I had a lot of work to do if I wanted to make this place look spooky.

"Maybe if you guys both dressed up as bitches then you would've won for originality." He chuckled as we scowled.

"Yeah that wasn't even funny," Vivian deadpanned. "What has college done to you?"

"A lot, more than you can imagine," he commented.

"So how long are you staying for?" I decided to ask him, since he was always at college and rarely ever came home.

"Approximately two weeks, I needed some time off." He frowned, it was probably because of Nancy, his girlfriend he was with for three years.

I placed the resources down and walked over to him and rested my hands on his shoulders. "Nancy, huh?"

He continued to frown. "It is what it is. She seems to be over me, so why shouldn't I?" He attempted to plaster on a fake smile.

"Maybe you can find someone new," I suggested making his head turn towards me. "What if Nancy wasn't the one, your twenty three. That's still young."

He looked down at his hands. "Yeah, but no one is like Nancy." I realised I shouldn't pressure him, and hopefully one day he would realise she wasn't the one.

"Never liked that bitch." I heard Vivian say as she unpacked the plastic red cups she bought.

"Since when?" Jack asked suspiciously.