Chapter 23- Sticks and Stones

Nolan's PoV

I was a wreck.

A huge wreck that couldn't be amended. The spirit that I was possessed by, took control over my body. I couldn't blame the alcohol for everything I did. After all, there were plenty of times that I was sober and I still managed to fuck up. It wasn't something that I could handle. My rage was like a different entity, nourishing any light and happiness, trapping me in a pitch dark room. There was no way out of here.

And I was dragging Mila with me ...

Mila, she was the girl who defined everything you'd ever want. She was sweet, beautiful, eccentric, everything you could possibly imagine. I was her first boyfriend, and she was my first girlfriend. They say you'll never forget your first love. And they were right, I'd never forget a girl like Mila. She laughed, she was happy, and she was the fine light between a supernova and a star. Something that I could never be.

I fell in love with her. I fell in love with every aspect of her, her face, her smile, and her little giggles. Never did I think I was going to be the person who destroyed that.

Then there's people like Adrian Clarkson. The boy that every girl admired and probably slept with. The same boy who was the most popular boy in the entire school. I mean, even I wished I was him sometimes, he had the perfect looks, he was rich, and he was smart. Often, I'd have to blink twice, trying to figure out whether he was actually real.

The boy had everything he wanted. He could get anything he wanted. One advantage I had that he didn't was my Mila. She was mine. Only mine. No one else's. I had her in my hands, and I wanted to keep her. He couldn't get her, because she had already fallen in love with me. Or at least that was what I thought.

The second I spotted the two together, it was game over for me. I didn't even have to find out anything further. I just needed to see the two side by side to know that this was it, he took her.

Why wouldn't she want him? He could certainly treat her better than I would. He could take her on a fancy first date, unlike me who took her to the typical movies. He could cuddle her when she needed comforting, unlike me who barely ever held her hand. Most of all, he could give her a life that I could possibly never.

I warned her about him, because I hated the thought of her catching feelings for him. She didn't listen. I advised her to not hang around with him. She still didn't listen. It had gone too far to the point I had to find out through someone else that she had gone to the beach with the three boys. The beach was a place to expose your body. They must've had the time of their lives.

And now was I only punishing her ...

A slap across the face.

She winced.

A punch on the arm.

She whimpered.

A tug on her hair.

She cried in pain.

Altogether I was bruising her everywhere, battering her life, bashing the person she was, ripping and clawing at her soul.