Chapter 72- Handcuffed

I awoke to several text messages on my phone, all from different people.

Theo: Happy Birthday Chica ;)

Yeah, I had finally reached the age of eighteen. I wasn't sure how I felt about it. I mean, I felt pretty much the same as any other day. But eighteen was a big number; it meant I was practically an adult. I could legally get a tattoo, which I'm sure I'd never do. Not because I'm a bad girl, but because I've always wanted to stay natural.

I finally felt like I was growing older, yet I felt like a five year old, and probably would forever act like one. It didn't feel real, this was the day. I felt old, old as hell, which just told me time was passing by quickly and sooner or later I'd be turning twenty.

There was a video attached to Theo's text message, in which he sang me happy birthday in Spanish in a groggy morning voice. He really got up early just to send that to me. In addition, I received a million more texts from everyone I could think of.

Except for Adrian.

Bummer!

He probably didn't know, since I never really told him it would be my birthday today. I didn't want to tell him because it would only encourage him to buy me gifts. And even if I enjoyed receiving them, I didn't want one from him. Especially after everything he's done for me, it all felt like something money could never buy.

I wandered over to Mom's calla lily, clutching my pendant and brushing the tips of my fingers over the resin. "I wish you could have been here for my birthday." I smiled and whispered. "I'll never forget you, no matter how old I get."

After showering, I dressed into a yellow milkmaid dress with short puffy sleeves and small floral patterns, that landed just above my knees. I wanted to put an effort. It wasn't everyday where I turned eighteen. I curled my hair, twisting some bits and pinning it to the back, and grabbing small strands at the front to frame my face. I applied mascara, lipgloss, as well as a little bit of highlighter. Satisfied with my look, I stepped into my brown ankle boots, and slid down the stairs.

Once I ambled into the kitchen, dad was already there. He turned around, holding Reese, a bright smile on his face, and both wearing gold party cone hats. I laughed at them and took a picture of them with my phone.

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you!" He started singing and dancing with Reese in his hands. "Happy birthday to Poptart! Happy birthday to you!" He blew his party horn, creating a loud toot sound before it coiled up again.

"Thank you." I chuckled as I curtsied while clutching the hem of my gown. "Oh my goodness, Reese looks so cute." As he licked my face, I managed to get him out of dads grasp. Despite the fact that he was wearing a hat, I really liked the way he looked in it.

"I can't believe my little girl is eighteen," dad said with a deflated tone. "How has it been eighteen years when I first held you in my arms like yesterday. You've grown up to be a woman." He was overcome with emotion and shed a tear.

"Dad." I whined placing Reese back on the ground before engulfing dad into a loving hug. "I'll always be your little girl, and you know that." He tightened his grip on me.

"I know that Poptart," he responded, pressing a kiss to my hair. "It's difficult for a father to watch their child grow up. From the day you said your first words to the day you took your first steps, you've come a long way. It's hard to see you mature."

"Well I'll be here as long as you know it. You're acting like I'm going to die."I chuckled as I drew away from him, wiping the tears from his eyes. "And what was my first word? You never tell me when I ask you, so I want to know at least now."