Journey to the Land of Waves

It started off with simple missions: finding a lost cat, pulling out some weeds, stuff like that. Eventually, even I was starting to get bored with them. We were receiving another simple mission from the Hokage when Naruto spoke up. "I want to go on a real mission! Something challenging and exciting, not this little kid stuff!"

Eventually, after arguing, the Hokage agreed. The mission was still simple, but a bit more challenging. We were to accompany a visitor to his hometown as his bodyguards.

The visitor walked in extremely drunk. I could smell the liquor from where I was standing. I got the feeling I wasn't going to like him. He introduced himself to be Tazuna, a bridge builder from the Land of Waves. We left almost immediately.

We were walking to our destination when I saw something strange. There was a puddle in the middle of the road when it hadn't been raining. I subtly pulled out a kunai and ran to catch up with Kakashi Sensei. "Kakashi Sensei," I started.

He looked down at me. "So you noticed it too". I nodded. "Keep your guard up". I then stopped to give time for Sasuke and the others to catch up.

Right after that, two ninja appeared behind us and used a chain to tie up Kakashi Sensei. Our eyes widened as they used the chains to squeeze him until he was nothing more than lumps of flesh. Judging by the headbands they wore; they were ninja from the Village Hidden in the Mist.

Right after that, they snuck up behind Naruto. He just froze until Sasuke stepped in to defend him. Sasuke managed to push them back. They managed to get free. One went after Naruto and the other went after us. I stepped in front of Sakura and Tazuna to defend them and held my kunai high, ready for an attack when the real Kakashi Sensei appeared to defend us and defeated both of them.

Sasuke turned to Naruto still on the ground. "You're not hurt are you, scaredy-cat?"

I whacked him in the back of the head before walking up to Naruto. I extended my arm out to him. "Don't listen to him". He took my hand and I helped him up. I looked him over. "In all seriousness, are you hurt?" I asked him, preparing to do my medical ninjutsu if I needed to. He shook his head so I turned around and walked back to the others.

Kakashi Sensei called out to him. "These ninja have claws with poison on them. It's in your blood so we need to get it out. Don't move".

I gave him a look that said, 'You lied to me'. I would've extracted the poison myself, but I didn't have the necessary materials in the middle of the road.

Kakashi Sensei turned to Tazuna. "We need to talk". We all looked at the two. We waited until the ninja were tied up before he started talking. "They're Chūnin from the Village Hidden in the Mist. Their specialty is Relentless Attack. They keep fighting no matter what the sacrifice".

"How did you know about our ambush?" one of them asked.

"A puddle on a clear day when it hasn't rained in weeks?" That tone seemed more like an accusation.

"In that case, why did you leave it for the Genin to do the fighting?" Tazuna asked.

"I had to know who their target was, and what they were after. I wanted to know if they were after us, ninja attacking ninja, or if they were after you, the master bridge builder". Tazuna seemed nervous. "When you put in the request, you asked for standard protection from robbers and highwaymen, you never said that ninja were after you, hunting you down. If we knew this, it would be a B ranked mission or higher. Our task was simply to get you to your destination and protect you while you finished building the bridge. I'm sure you had your reasons, but lying to us is not acceptable".

"We're Genin, this is too advanced for our training," Sakura pointed out. "We should go back, and I really think we should treat Naruto's wound and get the poison out as soon as possible".

I rolled my eyes. 'If you ask me, that's just another excuse to run away'.

Kakashi Sensei thought about it. "Naruto's wound could be a problem".

Not wanting to be a burden, Naruto grabbed a kunai, opened the wound and bled the poison out of his system, leaving the rest of us shocked.

"Naruto, if you lose any more blood, you're going to die," Kakashi Sensei pointed out.

"It's alright, I'll heal him," I told him. I walked over to the bleeding moron, got my medical ninjutsu ready, put my hand over his wound, and watched as his wound closed up.

As I was healing the wound, Kakashi Sensei walked up to me. "How did you know?" I tilted my head in confusion. "About the puddle?"

"I've been training to be a ninja since I was old enough to hold a kunai. Perception is one of the first things I was taught," I explained, glancing over at Sasuke as I did so. After that, we kept moving.

Eventually, we arrived at the Land of Waves. There, Tazuna finally explained the truth about the mission we were in. "The one who seeks my life is a very short man who casts a very long and deadly shadow. He's one of the wealthiest men in the world. The Shipping Magnet, Gatō. Gatō is a very powerful tycoon from a famous company, that's true. But below the surface, he sells drugs and contraband using gangs and ninja". He then explained his history with Gatō. Apparently, Gatō had his sights set on the Land of Waves, which was a land rich in poverty. Tazuna was building the bridge to open trading between his land and others', but building the bridge could put Gatō out of business, so he was trying to stop them.

Once he was finished explaining, we all agreed to see the mission through to the end. While we were walking, I started to sense someone following us. Apparently, Naruto could sense it too, although it didn't seem like he was taking it seriously.