Declaration of War

I unsheathed my sword as the bodyguards came down. "What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Guess what? Sasuke Uchiha snuck in here," Zetsu informed us.

Right after that, the Raikage and his team decided to search for Taka. I went with Gaara and his team, who had also decided to search for Sasuke.

I activated my snake senses and my Sharingan to find him. I was leading them towards Sasuke when Gaara spoke up. "I have a question. When you told me that Sasuke was here, why didn't you want me to say anything? And why did you only tell me?"

"That's two questions," I said with a slight smile, turning my head to face him. I turned back and kept walking. "Because I knew you, and I knew I could trust you. But I didn't know the others, so I wasn't sure I could trust them. Besides, I didn't want Danzo knowing".

"But he's your Hokage—" Kankurō started.

I stopped and turned around to face them, my eyes full of rage. "That man is not Hokage! He's nothing but a fill-in. My godmother WILL awaken from her coma and she WILL reclaim her title as Hokage!" They had gone silent, unsure of what to say. I clenched my fists and avoided their gazes to stop from crying.

Suddenly, my eyes widened as I started to sense Sasuke nearby. Without a word, I ran off in the direction of where his chakra was coming from, forcing Gaara and his siblings to chase after me.

We ran in a room to see Sasuke and the Raikage fighting. Sasuke was on the ground with his Susanoo activated and his Amaterasu guarding him and the Raikage was moving to attack him. Gaara moved his sand in between them to stop them.

I stood in front of Gaara to protect him. "Get out of here, (Y/N)," Sasuke ordered once he saw me. "I don't want to hurt you, especially today of all days".

I raised an eyebrow. "What are you gonna do? Kill me? On my birthday? Are you really that far gone?" The Sand siblings turned to me in shock, but I just ignored them. I threw a kunai at him, but he deflected it with his lightning blade.

Gaara stepped in front of me as he addressed Sasuke. "Your eyes are still as they were in the past. I have come to realize that making vengeance one's bread of life does not resolve anything. It's not too late for you. Don't withdraw into your own world obsessed with hatred, or you won't be able to return".

"So if I were to return, what is there for me?" Sasuke retorted.

I stepped forward. "You'd have me. I made a promise to Aunty Mikoto that I'd always be there for you. But I can feel you slipping, and I don't know how much longer I can keep chasing you".

"Then stop," was his reply.

My eyes widened. "Sasuke..."

Gaara called out my name to stop me then turned to Sasuke again. "Sasuke, you and I are quite alike. We both walked through the darkness of this world, so your eyes should pick up even the faintest glimmer of light, in the past, or even in this moment".

Sasuke smirked. "I shed my eyes a long time ago. The things I seek now lie only in the darkness".

Suddenly, Gaara moved his sand out of his gourd and I realized that the time for talking was over. The capable fighters, including me, all readied our weapons.

Sasuke sent his Amaterasu our way, but I ran in front of them and activated my Mangekyō Sharingan, instantly deflecting the Amaterasu. It was only a moment later that I started feeling immense pain coming from my right eye. I clasped my hand over my eye and sunk to my knees. The Sand Siblings raced to support me. "Are you okay?"

I brushed them off. "I'm fine". Once that was settled, I stood up and faced Sasuke once more, but maintained my Mangekyō Sharingan.

After that, we all got our Jutsu ready. Darui, one of the Raikage's bodyguards, decided to join us. We all attacked at the same time, but all five of our attacks were blocked by Sasuke's fully-formed Susanoo.