A Shadow in Darkness

I went straight home to rebuild my energy before I went to the hospital to see Sasuke. The apartment seemed kinda empty without him.

I was about to get ready for bed when I felt a presence behind me. I didn't even have to turn around to know who it was. "So it's true," I said sadly without turning around. I turned around to see a very familiar man standing in front of my bedroom window. "Hello, Big Brother Kabuto".

"So you finally remember me," he said with a soft smile. When I looked at him, all I saw was the teenage boy I used to train with, the one who taught me how to hold a kunai and taught me the right stance. A far cry from the man standing in front of me now, the traitor who was secretly working for my father.

I looked down and nodded slowly. "It took me a while. He's after me and Sasuke, isn't he?" His silence was all the answer I needed. "I suspected you might come after me sooner or later. I'm sorry, but I have no intention of letting that man back into my life". I quickly grabbed my bag, transformed into a snake, and slithered my way out of the apartment.

It wasn't until I reached the streets when I transformed back. Then I ran straight to the hospital. I practically slid to the reception desk. "I'm here to see Sasuke Uchiha".

The lady looked up at me. "Sorry, no visitors".

"What about family?"

She looked at me curiously. "What's your name?"

I took a deep breath as I gave her a name I hadn't used in years. "(Y/N) Uchiha". Her eyes widened so I decided to give her more information. "My mother's name was Chiharu Uchiha".

She quickly typed something on her computer as I looked around anxiously. So far, so good, no sign of Kabuto. The lady looked up at me with wide eyes. "Are you saying you're her?" she whispered loudly. I nodded quickly. "In that case, go right ahead". She gave me his room number. I practically raced to the room she had given me.

I took a deep breath then slowly opened the door. When I opened the door, I noticed Kakashi Sensei was already there. I stepped in and closed the door behind me. "Kabuto, he was here, wasn't he?" I asked him as I walked up to Sasuke's bed.

He turned to look at me. "How do you know that?"

I turned to him. "Because he showed up at my apartment! He went after me!"

"How did you escape?"

"I transformed into a snake and got the heck out of there!" I looked back down at Sasuke. "There's a chance he'll return".

"No. Now that he's been outed, I doubt he'd be stupid enough to try again. But if he does, go straight to me or one of the other Jounin". I nodded. He turned to walk away as he said, "when he wakes up, tell him to meet me near the Great Stone Faces. Oh, and don't tell anyone about this".

I turned around to face him. "You're going to train him, aren't you?"

He looked over his shoulder as he replied, "yes". Then he was gone, leaving me alone with my brother.

Over the next two weeks, I had gone back to my Medical Ninjutsu training. With the permission of my superiors, I was able to help treat Sasuke and Lee, who was still at the hospital, so I could stay close to them.

One night, I was standing on my balcony staring at the full moon when I saw Gaara sitting on top of a statue. I watched as Dosu approached him from a rooftop. After a while, Gaara transformed into a monster and killed Dosu. I think the scariest part about that was that I just found myself all the more intrigued by what I'd just witnessed. I placed my hand over my curse mark.

Suddenly, I sensed something coming from the snake I placed on Kabuto, so I decided to listen.

"Amazing! So that's Gaara's true form then, is it?" That voice was definitely Kabuto's.

"Listen, is this okay? He was a Sound ninja". I didn't recognise that voice.

"Yes, it's fine. He's long since served his purpose".

"But I thought he was a guinea pig intended to test the strength of that boy, Sasuke".

"That's true, or it was. It isn't necessary anymore. The thing is, I was ordered to seize Sasuke when he was in the hospital and seize Orochimaru's daughter when I got the chance, but I failed in those missions. They discovered that I'm an agent of the Sound village".

"Wait a minute, if they know who you are and the people find out that you're having a secret meeting here with me, then the plan to destroy the Hidden Leaf village will be completely ruined. I thought you were Orochimaru's right-hand man but after being revealed to them, you just nonchalantly come here and meet with me?"

"To be exact, they didn't really discover what my true identity was on their own, I let them find out. Just like I'm letting Orochimaru's daughter listen to our conversation. It doesn't affect me. Knowing her, she'll either be too frightened to say anything, or she'll want more information before she goes to the Hokage. Isn't that right, (Y/N)?"

I severed my connection with a gasp. I clicked my fingers and the snake disappeared. 'He knew this whole time?' He was right though, I thought it was safe to wait a bit longer before saying anything. Besides, I didn't want the Sand Siblings getting in trouble.

One day, I had come to Sasuke's room alone to check on his condition when I saw him sitting up in bed. I rushed up to him to support him. "How are you feeling?"

He looked down at his hands. "Better". I breathed a sigh of relief. "How long was I out?"

"Two weeks (A/N: I think)," I answered him simply.

His eyes widened. "Two weeks?!"

I nodded. "Which means we only have two weeks left until the finals". I looked at him with sorrowful eyes. "You're supposed to be fighting Gaara in the first round".

He smirked. "Perfect".

I stood up. "Don't underestimate him, Sasuke. He almost killed Lee during the Preliminaries. Lee is still in this hospital right now healing from his injuries. The woman training me told me that his days as a ninja are over. That's how powerful Gaara is". His eyes widened.

He had the better sense to change the subject. "What about you? Did you make it to the finals?"

My mouth spread into a wide grin. I nodded excitedly. "I'm fighting Temari in the first round". Suddenly, I remembered something. "Kakashi Sensei told me to tell you when you woke up to meet him near the Great Stone Faces. He's planning to train you. He also said not to tell anyone. I recommend you leave now". He got up and jumped out the window as I walked back to my cart still by the door.

Just then, the door opened and my teacher walked in with Sakura and Ino. Their eyes widened when they saw the empty bed. I put on my best surprised face. My teacher turned to me. "(Y/N), where's Sasuke?"

I turned to her with shock still written on my face. "I don't know. I came in here to check up on him and he was gone". I turned to the girls. "Sorry girls".

"I'll have to tell the Hokage about this," my teacher said before turning to me. "In the meantime, why don't you focus the next two weeks on preparing for the Chūnin Exam Finals?" I nodded.

I grabbed my cart and left the room. I packed up my stuff then went home for the rest of the day. I was a bit relieved to see that Sasuke would still be sleeping at home.