Sombre News

When I arrived at the gate, I was greeted by Aunty Tsunade. When she saw me, she rushed over to me. "What happened?"

I looked down sadly. I shook my head. "He's dead". I looked up at her to see she was equally as grief-stricken and I didn't think it was because of Itachi. I tilted my head. "What's wrong?"

She shook her head. "It's fine. It can wait".

"No, tell me. Whatever it is, I can handle it".

Eventually, she sighed. "It's Jiraiya, he's dead".

It felt like the wind had been knocked out of me. I was paralysed. I couldn't move, I could barely even breath. I fell to my knees and Aunty Tsunade wrapped her arms around me to comfort me. It felt like for that one moment, the world stood still. I felt something warm on my shoulder and I knew she was crying. I returned her hug in an effort to comfort her.

After what seemed like forever, we both stood up. "We have to get you back to the hospital," she said to me, wiping her tears.

I shook my head. "No, I'd like to return to my old apartment". She opened her mouth to argue, but after seeing the look on my face, she nodded.

I walked to my apartment, ignoring the stares everyone was giving me. I got into my apartment only to be greeted by layers of dust. Wiping my tears, I got to work cleaning my apartment. And no one saw me again, at least for the next couple of days.

3rd Person P.O.V

Team 7 stood in the Hokage's office, awaiting their final member. They had all heard the news moments before, and now they were just waiting for the person that was going to be impacted the most.

Eventually, the door opened and Kakashi walked in followed by a very confused Naruto. Naruto was very confused by the appearance of the Great Sage Toad known as Fukasaku. At least until Tsunade explained that Fukasaku was the one who taught Jiraiya Sage Art, followed by another piece of distressing news. "I'm afraid Jiraiya-boy has died in battle," Fukasaku explained to him.

Naruto felt his entire world come crumbling down at those words. His master, the man he considered a father, had died. Everyone in the room looked at him sympathetically, knowing full-well how close they were.

"For some time now, rumours have been circulating that the leader of the Akatsuki was operating out of the Village Hidden in the Rain," Fukasaku explained. "Jiraiya-boy went there in person to verify whether these rumours were true". After he had explained everything, he took off his robe to reveal a message Jiraiya had left before he died, obviously written in code.

Naruto, however, was still processing the news about his mentor's death. He clenched his fists in anger. "(Y/N), she did this, didn't she?"

Tsunade sat up straight. "Actually, that's another reason I called you all here. In truth, (Y/N) was a spy working for the Hidden Leaf". Both Sakura and Naruto turned to Tsunade in shock. "(Y/N) was on a mission to infiltrate the Akatsuki and spy on them from the inside. Another reason Jiraiya went to the Village Hidden in the Rain is because we received intel from someone helping (Y/N) with her mission that the leader of the Akatsuki had discovered her true intentions and captured her. She returned to the village while you were on your mission".

"Then why isn't she here?!" Naruto yelled in anger. "Doesn't she care about him at all?!"

Tsunade was angry at his accusation. "Naruto! She lost her husband and godfather all at once! She needs time to grieve on her own".

Naruto stopped, knowing she was right. Overcome by grief, he stormed out without another word.

Meanwhile, Sakura was overflowing with relief. She didn't really hate her. It was all an act. Everything that had happened these past three years was all an act. (Y/N) was one of her closest friends and the way she acted killed Sakura, but it was clear it was just as hard for her.