The Akatsuki Makes Its Move

It had been three years since I joined the Akatsuki on my secret mission. I had continued feeding the Hidden Leaf information. I had decided to keep another journal on Sasuke. My journals had turned into full binders of things I had found out; encounters, rumours, the people themselves, stuff like that. I had made many copies of each just in case.

Itachi had continued to train me. He helped me get stronger with my Jutsu and even taught me how to use a sword, which eventually became my preferred weapon of choice. Kakashi Sensei had also taught me the Chidori. I also had a little trick up my sleeve, I had taken the time to learn the Fourth Hokage's Teleportation Jutsu, modifying the formula a bit to suit myself, of course.

One day, I was in the Land of Wind following a lead on Sasuke and my father alone. Deidara and Sasori were on a mission to retrieve the One Tails Jinchūriki and Itachi and Kisame were on another mission.

It had led to another dead end and I was just leaving when I got a message from the leader of the Akatsuki, Pain. "Deidara and Sasori should be in the Hidden Sand Village by now. Go and make sure their mission is successful and that they're not late to the sealing". Then he was gone before I had the chance to say anything.

I looked over to the direction in which I knew the Village Hidden in the Sand lay. 'Gaara'. I then looked in the other direction toward the Hidden Leaf Village. With that, I was off.

I quickly teleported straight to the Hokage's office. Luckily, she was alone. She took one look at my worried expression and realised something was wrong. She quickly straightened up. "What is it?"

I didn't miss a single beat. "The Akatsuki are on their way to procure the One-Tails. They're after Gaara!"

She frowned. "I'll send a team after them. All we can do is hope they arrive fast enough. In the meantime, go and continue your mission".

"What if they're not fast enough?!" By now, I had tears threatening to fall. Gaara was my friend and if anything happened to him, I'd never be able to forgive myself.

"(Y/N), calm down! I'll be sending a very capable team. You just have to have faith in them". I straightened up and breathed a sigh of relief. With that, I made my way to the Hidden Sand.

I arrived as Deidara and Gaara were fighting. I walked up to Sasori who was standing on the sidelines. "What are you doing standing all the way over here?" I asked him.

"Deidara insisted on fighting the Jinchūriki on his own". I nodded in understanding. I wasn't even surprised, Deidara always was too cocky for his own good. "What are you doing here?"

"Our leader sent me to make sure you two didn't play around too much," I answered with a shrug.

"How did that lead on Orochimaru go?"

My shoulders drooped. "It was another dead end". With that, the conversation ended and we averted our attention to the fight in front of us.

I watched as Deidara got stuck in Shukaku's arms who broke his arm. Deidara then dropped a bomb on the entire village, which Gaara defended with his sand. Suddenly, Deidara exploded his small bird near Gaara's Ultimate Defence, but Gaara was unharmed due to the sand enclosing him. Deidara activated his clay bomb ants and blew up the shell of protective sand around Gaara. Already weak, with his last bit of power, Gaara managed to move the sand he used to protect the village from the C3 out of the village. With that, Deidara had successfully completed his mission.

He flew over to us with the unconscious Gaara. "Took you long enough," I commented when he got close.

Ignoring my comment, he looked at me with surprise. "What are you doing here?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I'll explain on the way. Let's get out of here". I didn't want Kankurō to see me like this, so I was trying to leave as soon as possible. Deidara jumped down onto the ground, his bird still holding Gaara. With that, the three of us walked off.

It wasn't long after we left the village that Kankurō caught up to us, causing us to stop in our tracks. Turning around to face him, I slowly took off my hat, revealing my face. I noticed how he froze and his eyes widened. "(Y/N)?"

I looked at him with my mask of indifference. "Hello Kankurō".

"You two go on ahead," Sasori said, breaking us out of our trance.

With that, the two of us hopped on the bird and we flew off. While we were in the air, I subtly slipped a note disguised as a snake out of my arm explaining everything and sent it straight to the Hokage's office.

I then turned to Deidara to see his arm was still crushed. I grabbed him and used my Medical Ninjutsu to heal him. Then we had to wait for Sasori. It looked like I was going to fail my mission.

I looked down at Gaara with a soft expression. "You know, if Itachi saw you looking at him like that, he'd probably get jealous," Deidara said, breaking me out of my trance.

I shook my head. "It isn't like that. We became close friends during the Chūnin Exams. It almost seems like a shame to have to kill him".