Chapter Thirty-one - Cancer

Trigger Warning: Character Death

      Ginny slowly pushed the large door open, peeping through. "I don't see anyone in there," she whispered to Neville, who was holding the unconscious toddler in his arms. Neville nodded sheepishly, as Ginny slipped through the door, leaving him on look out. "Mmn?" He heard a little grunt, and instantly looked down. The blonde girl had woken up. "Ah! Luna! You're awake!" He gasped, freaking out slightly. "Who.. Who are you?" She asked quietly, reaching out and touching his face, her large blue-grey eyes sparkling with confusion. 

   "Neville! I'm one of your friends," he told her. She smiled at him, then looked around, admiring the large hall. "Where?" It took Neville a minute to realise what she meant. "Oh! This is Hogwarts, Hogwarts school of Witch Craft and Wizardry! It's a school." Luna looked amazed, and her smile grew wider. "You go to Hogwarts? That's very cool!" She gushed, looking at him with admiration. "You go here aswell, Luna!" He told her, and her face somehow managed to look even happier. "Woah!"

     Lucius sat outside the ward, his arms crossed. The doctors and nurses had told him to leave the room. He was pissed. Royaly pissed. Not at the nurses, the doctors, his wife, Severus, no. He was mad at himself. Why, why the day that his wife found out, why did that have to be the day? He felt tears welling in his eyes, but tried his best to hide this. Every so often he'd catch people looking at him, and it made him even more pissed. Generally, he was just pretty pissed. A tear rolled down his cheek. At this point he didn't even care. The longer and longer he sat there, the worse he felt. He knew this wasn't going to be good. "UGH, I'M SO FUCKING STUPID!" He yelled, startling all the others around him. He covered his face with his arm, and began to sob. 

     His wife wasn't going to make it. He already knew that. She hadn't been on medication, he'd ignored it. He'd thought she'd be fine, she'd get over it. But she wouldn't get over it, she wouldn't be fine. And he'd realised that far too late. "Mr Malfoy?" A teary-eyed nurse stood beside him, her hand on his shoulder. "Y.. yes?" He asked, wiping his face one last time before looking up at her. His pale face was stained red under the eyes, and somehow, simultaneously, looked even paler than usual. 

     "Please come in, we have some bad news," the nurse sighed, helping Lucius up. Lucius stayed silent, half knowing what was coming. She, the nurse, held the door open for the Malfoy, who slowly entered the room. 

    Four or five nurses and doctors stood around a white bed, all looking upset. "Mr. Malfoy, we're afraid: having been left untreated, that Mrs. Malfoy won't make it. There's nothing we can do. It's began affecting her lungs. We've tried everything we can. I'm sorry," a stern looking doctor explained, stepping away from the bed and letting Lucius in beside his wife. Lucius remained silent, slowly falling apart on the inside. He didn't love Narcissa. It was an arranged marriage. But.. she was still his friend. They had a son together. They lived together. They'd went to school together. They were friends. "..Lucius," Narcissa spoke quietly, her blonde hair loose over the pillow. She looked pale, and weak. Her face looked perfect, it always had. She was gorgeous, even in such a state. 

     She slowly reached out her hand, gesturing for Lucius to take it. He, making sure to be as gentle as possible, held her hand. "..I love you..," she whispered, smiling sadly, her eyes watering.  Tears flowed down Lucius' cheeks. "Narcissa.. I'm so sorry..I- I'm so sorry.." Narcissa's smile widened. "Lucius.. I don't.. want you to be hung up on me.. okay? Sev..erus.. I know you love h..im." She closed her eyes. "Na-Narcissa?" 

      She left her eyes closed, deciding upon her last words. "Tell Draco I love him, please."