Chapter Forty-Four - Katie Bell and the Cursed Necklace

Draco stared at the Malfoy-headstones, his father beside him. Draco looked as though he had just been hit with a boulder. And, in a way, he had. A mental boulder, of course. His fathers words seemed to echo around the church. Glancing over at Lucius, he realised he had started tearing up. "I love you, Draco. It mightn't seem like it.. but you mean the world to me," he whispered quietly. Draco, remaining silent, stood up. His grey-silver eyes filled with tears, much like his fathers. "I love you too, dad." 

     Lucius followed Draco's actions, getting to his feet. "I've been a bad parent," Lucius spoke shakily, taking his sons hands. "I'm sorry." Draco laughed quietly, taking Lucius by surprise. He wrapped his arms around his father, hugging him, tears streaming down his flushed, from the cold, face. 

    "What's taking Snape so long?" Blaise asked, tapping his foot impatiently. Him and Pansy stood in a room full of unfamiliar people - Severus had gone to get Lucius and Draco, as a family member was asking for them. "Let's go find out," Pansy declared, dragging Blaise by the arm. Since the services hadn't began yet, all the guests were waiting to speak with either Lucius or Draco - the place theoretically reeked of snob. 

     The two sixteen year old's turned around the corner of the church, trying their best not to slip on the frosty ground. The church was one of those with the graves starting round the side, and wrapping all the way around it - most were family plots, but there were a few forgotten, fading singular headstones on their own, any previous flowers long dead, much like the corpses buried deep beneath. The Malfoy plot was around the back, standing tall and proud, with grey slabs over the coffins - an empty, dug up spot soon to be filled with the late Narcissa. Before they, Pansy and Blaise, could see this, however, they spotted Severus. He was standing watching the scene infront of him, choosing not to intrude. He couldn't help but smile. 

    Pansy and Blaise slowed down, the silence making both of them feel equally on edge. 'We shouldn't intrude,' Pansy mouthed, practically pushing Blaise back, as Draco and Lucius came into sight. Blaise nodded, a worried look on his handsome face. 

    Severus gently slipped the ring off of his finger, squeezing it tightly. "Lucius," he spoke softly, trying not to startle either him or his son. Lucius looked up at him, his tear-stained face looking glad to see him. "I hate to disturb-" Lucius let go of his son, pat his head, then rushed over to Severus. "Don't worry," he interrupted. Severus watched as Draco crouched back down infront of his grandfathers grave, looking considerably happier. 

    "Someone wants to talk to you," he explained, wiping tears from Lucius' face absently. Lucius fixed his clothes nervously. He wore a black cape-like robe, over a proper robe. His body was completely covered, except for his hands and face. The mans long blonde hair lay messily around his shoulders. "I suppose I've got to, haven't I?" 

     The funeral seemed to drag on. Both Lucius and Draco spoke during the service, Draco struggling greatly. Lucius had to hold his hand throughout the whole speech, but all things come to an end eventually, living or not. "Draco, before you go," Lucius called, as his son wrapped up in his scarf and coat. The widower led his son into a corner, speaking in a hushed whisper to him, "Take this- DON'T touch it, whatever you do. Give it to Dumbledore. Make sure nobody knows you were the one who wanted him to have it. It's cursed." Draco went to protest, wanting to remind him of the tight security at Hogwarts, but was interrupted. "Draco, Snape say's we have to go!" Blaise yelled. Draco smiled sadly at Lucius, before shoving the wrapped up parcel into his pocket and running.

    "Are you okay, Dray?" Pansy asked, her hands comfortably in her pockets. Draco, her, Blaise and their professor walked through Hogsmeade, a brutal storm brewing up. He pulled his scarf up over his mouth, shivering. "Y-Yeah. Cold, though." As the wind howled loudly, Severus decided they best stop. "Let's go into The Three Broomsticks," he sighed. It was still bright out, and there were plenty of people- Hogwarts students, even -roaming around, tightly packed in groups, all determined to find shelter. 

    The three of them stumbled in, brushing the snow off their coats. "Ah, Zabini, my boy! I've been hoping to see you!" The booming voice of the new DADA professor, Horace Slughorn, said. He grabbed Blaise's hand, shaking it roughly. "I'd like to invite you to supper, this Saturday! How does eight sound?" Blaise awkwardly smiled, nodding obliviously. The professor grinned, welcoming him to his 'Slug Club.' Then, he turned to Draco. "Mr. Malfoy, I heard about your mother, I taught her, she was a very talented woman! Quite the gossip, though!" He chuckled, before wandering off. 

    "Let's find a seat," Pansy suggested, leading the others to the nearest, empty one. Draco rested his head on the table, ignoring the other three (mainly Blaise and Pansy)'s chatter, zoning out. He watched as a gryffindor girl entered the bathroom- he recognised her from the quidditch team- and suddenly got an idea. Make sure nobody knows  you were the one who wanted him to have it. He stood up, his chair making an ugly scraping sound against the wooden floor. 

     "I'm going to the bathroom," he declared, before storming off. He pulled up his coat hood (he had chosen to keep it on, as it still wasn't that warm) and attempted to sneak into the female toilets. He stood next to them, making sure nobody was watching, then, at the right moment, he slipped in. One stall was locked. He waited infront of the mirror, holding his wand tightly to his chest. 

    There was a loud flush, and Katie Bell emerged from the stall- she stared at Draco for a minute, before going to scream- but he hastily raised his wand. "Imperio!" He yelled, pointing it right at her. "Bring this package to Albus Dumbledore. Don't tell anyone who gave it to you." Katie nodded emptily, doing as she was told. Draco handed her the package his father gave him, feeling proud of himself. Had he done it? Was his mission going to be over? He hoped so. 

   He followed Katie out of the bathroom, quickly rushing back to his table. There was a pint of butterbeer sitting at his seat, waiting for him. He quietly supped his drink, a nervous feeling welling in his stomach. "You three can stay here, I'm heading back up to the school," Severus said leaving a few galleons on the table to pay. The three teenagers bid him farewell, and watched as he disappeared into the crowd.