Chapter 19

Lily's P.O.V:

After a few days, the entire school is talking about Harry's face-off with Quirrell. I mean, word travels quickly around Hogwarts. Like, real quick. But now we're sat in the Great Hall for the end of term feast before we go home tomorrow.

"Another year has gone!" Dumbledore says cheerfully. "And I must trouble you with an old man's wheezing waffle before we sink our teeth into our delicious feast. What a year it has been! Hopefully, your heads are all a little fuller than they were... you have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts..." he trails off, looking over the crowd of students staring up at him. "Now, as I understand it, the House Cup here needs awarding, and the points stand this: In fourth place, Gryffindor, with three hundred and twelve points," he says and everyone begins to clap for us before it dies down again. "In third, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two," he continues before we clap again before it dies down yet again. "Ravenclaw has four hundred and twenty-six," he says before everyone begins to clap. "And Slytherin, four hundred and seventy-two," he finishes as everyone claps for Slytherin but all of Gryffindor claps with very little effort. "Yes, yes, well done, Slytherin," says Dumbledore. "However, recent events must be taken into account."

The room suddenly goes very quiet and still and the Slytherins' smiles fade a little. "Ahem," begins Dumbledore. "I have a few last-minute points to dish out. Let me see. Yes... first – to Mr Ronald Weasley..."

I see Ron's face go red which makes him look as if he has a sunburn. "... for the best-played game of chess Hogwarts has seen in many years, I award Gryffindor House fifty points."

Everyone in Gryffindor cheers and Percy can be heard telling the other prefects, "My brother, you know! My youngest brother! Got past McGonagall's giant chess set!"

At last, there is silence again. "Second- to Miss Hermione Granger... for the use of cool logic in the face of fire, I award Gryffindor House fifty points."

Hermione buries her face in her arms and Gryffindor all cheer again. "Third – to Mr Harry Potter..." Dumbledore begins and the room goes deadly quiet. "... for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor House sixty points."

I look down at Harry with a smile of pure delight before pulling him into a hug but my smile slightly fades when I realise how many points we've got. We now have four hundred and seventy-two points – the same as Slytherin. We are tied for the House Cup – if only Dumbledore had given Harry just one more point. Dumbledore raises his hands and the room gradually falls silent once again. "There are all kinds of courage," he says, smiling. "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends. I, therefore, award ten points to Mr Neville Longbottom."