Chapter 37

Soon enough, time flies by for Lily after Valentine's day and soon enough the Easter holidays roll around then flies past and then the Gryffindor versus Hufflepuff Quidditch match rolls around

Lily wakes the day of the match to a golden sunrise and a light, refreshing breeze. Getting out of bed, she quickly puts on her uniform before running out of the dormitory with her satchel and into the common room to meet Hermione, who is holding a mirror and she agreed to meet with that morning before the Quidditch match to do more research on the monster before they both head out of the common room and down the stairs to the first floor and down along the corridor before walking into the library. They quickly begin collecting books from the shelves and then putting them down on the table in the middle of the room. Sitting down next to Hermione, Lily gets out her mirror as well because they both had the idea of if the monster were to sneak up on them, they would be able to see them from behind them. Suddenly, someone sits down on the bench near them, making Lily and Hermione look up and see Penelope Clearwater, a Ravenclaw prefect, and the girlfriend of Percy Weasley, sat down on the same bench, a few paces away from Lily. "Penelope? What are you doing here?" Lily asks the Ravenclaw girl near her. Penelope looks up from her book to look at Lily. "Studying." she replies with dully.

"But don't you want to go and watch the Quidditch match?" Lily asks her.

"Don't you?" she shoots back.

"We are. But we're doing a bit of research on something important." Lily informs the girl sat to the left of her. "Alright. How about the three of us walk down to the Quidditch pitch before the game starts together?" Penelope asks Lily, causing her to nod her head.

"That's fine with me. Hermione?" she asks the bushy-haired, second-year sat to her right, making Hermione look up at Lily. "Yes?" she asks in confusion.

"Is it alright for Penelope to walk down to the Quidditch pitch with us when we go down?" Lily asks her, making Hermione beam brightly at the thought of getting on a prefect's good side. "That's fine." she says quickly before turning back to the book she's reading, making Lily turn back to Penelope. "She says that it's fine." she tells Penelope quickly before turning to the books in front of her.

After a while of looking through books, Hermione ending up getting out a quill and parchment to list down the books we've gone through and have nothing in about the creature of the chamber, Lily gets up from her seat to stretch her legs before peering over Hermione's shoulder to look at what she's reading. "Anything?" she asks the second-year below her.

"Nothing. Nothing in these books have any information about the creature." she says in frustration as I flick over a few pages of the book to read but I pause when I read one passage of the text. "Of the many fearsome beasts and monsters that roam our land, there is none more curious or more deadly than the Basilisk, known also as the King of Serpents. This snake, which may reach a gigantic size and live many hundreds of years, is born from a chicken's egg, hatched beneath a toad. Its method of killing is most wondrous, aside from its deadly and venomous fangs, the Basilisk has a murderous stare, and all those who are fixed with the beam of its eye shall suffer instant death. Spiders flee before the Basilisk, for it is their mortal enemy, and the Basilisk flees only from the crowing of the rooster, which is fatal to it."