Chapter 9

Three Weeks Later

I walk into the Hall with Fred and George, heading towards Ron and Harry. "Well done," George says in a low voice. "Wood told us. We're on the team too – Beaters."

"I tell you, we're going to win that Quidditch Cup for sure this year," says Fred. "We haven't won since Charlie left, but this year's team is going to be brilliant. You must be good, Harry. Wood was almost skipping when he told us."

"Anyway, we've got to go, Lee Jordan reckons he's found a new secret passageway out of the school."

"Bet it's that one behind the statue of Gregory the Smarmy that we found in our first week. See you."

Fred and George walk out of the Great Hall before I sit down next to Harry and Ron. "Having the last meal, Potter? When are you getting the train back to the Muggles?" Draco asks Harry.

"You're a lot braver now that you're back on the ground ad you've got your little friends with you," Harry says coolly.

"I'd take you on anytime on my own," says Malfoy. "Tonight, if you want. Wizard's duel. Wand only – no contact. What's the matter? Never heard of a wizard's duel before, I suppose?"

"Of course he has," says Ron, wheeling around. "I'm his second, who's yours?"

Malfoy looks at Crabbe and Goyle, sizing them up. "Crabbe," he says. "Midnight all right? We'll meet you in the trophy room; that's always unlocked."

Malfoy starts to walk away and I get up looking at Harry and Ron. "I'll be back in a moment. Stay here and don't do anything stupid," I tell them before walking after Malfoy. "Oi! Malfoy!" I yell and he stops, along with his goons and turns around.

"What do you want, Potter?" he spits.

"You have a lot of courage talking to my brother like that. Especially if you're thinking about having a wizards duel with him, when I know that, not only is it against the rules here at Hogwarts to have a wizards duel unsupervised but having it within three weeks of being at school and not knowing any spells, I think you should think about the way you speak to my brother, especially when I'm around," I tell him before walking off back to Ron and Harry.

"Throw it away and punch him on the nose," Ron suggests.

"Excuse me?" I ask along with someone else. I look to the side of me and see Hermione Granger.

"Can't a person eat in peace in this place?" asks Ron. Hermione ignores him and speaks to Harry. "I couldn't help overhearing what you and Malfoy were saying –"

"Bet you could," I hear Ron mutters.

"- and you mustn't go wandering around the school at night, think of the points you'll lose Gryffindor if you're caught, and you're bound to be. It's really very selfish of you," Hermione finishes.

"And it's really none of your business," Harry says but I slap the back of his head.

"Good-bye," says Ron but I slap the back of Ron's head as well.

I sigh before walking out of the Great Hall to find Fred and George again.