Chapter 78

The next week passes in a blur for Lily

The next week passes in a blur for Lily. Dumbledore had asked people to not both Harry, which Harry had been happy for as well as Lily because she could see how much pain Harry was in over the death of Cedric and she didn't want to see him even more distraught than he is.

Finally, on the final day of school, Lily, Fred, George, Lee and Angelina sit in the Great Hall, the usual decorations for the Leaving Feast, replaced with black drapes on the wall behind the teachers' table. The real Mad-Eye Moody sits at the staff table, his wooden leg and magical eye back in place.

"The end," Dumbledore says, looking around the hall at the students. "of another year."

He pauses, and his eyes fall upon the Hufflepuff table. "There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight," he says. "but I must first acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here," he gestures towards the Hufflepuff table, "enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand, and raise your glasses, to Cedric Diggory."

They did it, all of them; the benches scraped as everyone in the Hall stands, and raise their goblets, and echoes, in one loud, low, rumbling voice, "Cedric Diggory."

"Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff house," Dumbledore continues. "He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not. I think that you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about."

"Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort."

A panicked whisper sweeps the Great Hall. People stare at Dumbledore in disbelief, in horror. "The Ministry of Magic," Dumbledore continues. "does not wish me to tell you this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so – either because they will not believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, or because they think I should not tell you so, young as you are. It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies, and that any attempt to pretend that Cedric died as the result of an accient, or some sort of blunder of his own, is an insult to his memory."

Stunned and frightened, every face in the Hall is turned towards Dumbledore now. "There is somebody else who must be mentioned in connection with Cedric's death," Dumbledore goes on. "I am talking, of course, about Harry Potter."

A kind of ripple crosses the Great Hall as a few heads turn in Harry's direction before turning back to Dumbledore. "Harry Potter managed to escape Lord Voldemort," Dumbledore says. "He risked his own life to return Cedric's body to Hogwarts. He showed, in every respect, the sort of bravery that few wizards have ever shown in facing Lord Voldemort, and for this, I honour him."

Dumbledore turns gravely to Harry and raises his goblet once more. Nearly everyone in the Great Hall follows suit. They murmur his name, as they had murmured Cedric's and drink to him. But through a gap in the standing figures, Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle and many of the other Slytherin's have remained in their seats, their goblets untouched. When everyone returns to their seat, Dumbledore continues, "The Triwizard Tournament's aim was to further and promote magical understand. In the light of what has happened – of Lord Voldemort's return – such ties are more important than ever before. Every guest in this hall will be welcomed back here at any time, should they wish to come. I say to you all, once again – in the light of Lord Voldemort's return, we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided. Lord Voldemort's gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally strong bond of friendship and trust. Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. It is my belief – and never have I so hoped that I am mistaken – that we are all facing dark and difficult times. Some of you in this Hall have already suffered directly at the hands of Lord Voldemort. Many of your families have been torn asunder. A week ago, a student from our midst.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."

***

Lily sits on the train cuddled up to Fred's side, Angelina doing the same with George whilst Lee sits by the carriage door. "This year couldn't have gone any differently than what it has done," Lee comments, breaking the silence in the carriage. "Anyone know what they're plans are for summer?"

"Mum and dad are taking me out of the country to try and get my mind off the past few weeks," Angelina comments.

"Well, the three of us will be stuck at home with mum for two months," Fred comments.

"Easy for you to say. You'll have Lily and we know what will happen between the two of you if you're stuck in the house together," George complains in a jokey tone. Lily buries her head in Fred's shoulder in embarrassment.

"Seriously George?" Fred questions, looking over at his brother in disbelief.

"What?" George questions. "It's not as if we didn't know that it would happen. I'm just stating a fact."

"And I'm going to get some food. Lily?" Angelina questions, getting up from the bench before walking out of the carriage, Lily following her.

"You really need to learn when to shut your mouth, mate," Lee comments, looking over at George.