Chapter 71

Authors note: If you like my story please vote, add your libraries, and comment. It lets me know that you enjoy the direction it is going in. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Enjoy!

Chapter 71

It was raining when I arrived at the Bennetts, the taxi driver looked at me as if I was a mad woman when I told him he could just leave me at the gates. 

I sprinted from the gates to the front of his door. My French braid had come loose, and I could feel the heat in my cheeks. The soft crooning of Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah and knocked gently on the door the half-opened door.

He sat on the floor, reading up against the bookcase on a makeshift stack of pillows. The light from the setting sun came through the window and made his hair look a golden-brown color. He looked relaxed wearing a brown Henley with the sleeves bunched up at his elbows and black pants, his feet were socked, and he had on the glasses, which made him look like a young college professor.

"Well, this is a mood," I said, stepping in and leaning on his doorframe.

He looked up and gave me a quizzical look.

"Hi," He said, looking up from his book, "you can come in."

I looked around. His room was so neat except for the books he had everywhere. Reading was the only time he didn't keep any order. I took off my wet shoes shoes as it seemed improper not to and stepped into the room.

I suddenly was struck with an abundance of nervousness. 

"I was just wondering if you knew when Maria was going to be back. I brought somethings she wanted me to bring for a club booth."

"You didn't text her?"

"I did, but she's in rehearsals for her drama class, and I can't get through when I call. I wondered, since Cameron was also in rehearsals, if you might know at what time it ends. I wanted to wait for Maria, but I don't want to stay if it will be too late." I could hear myself babble. I was suddenly so nervous.

He narrowed his eyes at me as if he saw right through all the bullshit I just said.

"Why are you here, Lia?" He asked calmly.

I felt my heart race, and a blush crept into my cheeks.

"I spoke to Lana. It's not Maria, but I'm pretty sure she told me everything." I blurted out.

He stared at me with an undiscernible look on his face when he looked down at his novel.

"Have you read this yet?"

"What?" I asked, confused.

He held up the book, and I walked over to better read its title, The Children's Hour.

"No, but I like that author."

"Me. Too."

I walked tentatively into his room. I had so much gusto on the way here, and now I was a nervous wreck. I looked around at his bookcases, not really knowing where to look, when one of them caught my eye.

"Is this a first edition Grapes of Wrath?"

"Yeah, how'd you know?"

"I looked it up once, and I remember the cover," I said, and I could hear the nervousness in my voice.

"Oh," I said excitedly, suddenly spotting another book. "I wanted to read this."

"Read it then."