Chapter 49

Authors note: If you like my story please vote, add your libraries, and comment. It lets me know that you enjoy the direction it is going in. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Enjoy!

Chapter 49

Because I was so nervous about the chem exam, I pulled an all-nighter. I naturally had a lot of energy, but I started to feel my decision to forgo sleep. By the time chem came around, I felt like I was dragging my feet from how tired I am. I put my head down on the cold black lab table. The coolness of the surface felt nice on my skin. I closed my eyes for a second when I heard a soft thump and felt a sudden wave of warmth. I opened my eyes to see a paper coffee cup in front of my eyes.

"What is this?"

"It's for you," Robbie said as I sat up. He pulled out a wooden chair and sat down next to me.

"Coffee?"

"Well, a cappuccino," He said, nodding.

"Thank you? When did you get this?"

"During rec. I saw you while you were in math. You seemed tired, and I felt bad for ruining your breakfast. I also saw you walking into Mr. Heffernan last week after lunch. I had him last year; he can knock you out even with a full night's rest."

I brought the cappuccino up to my nose and took a deep breath. Mmmmm, it smelled like everything right in the world.

"It's not poison, I promise." He said, looking at me. His green eyes showed some humor behind them.

"Smells so nice, I could bathe in this," I said, taking another deep breath.

"Well, it's pretty hot, so I don't think that would be a good idea, blow on it before you drink it; it's freshly made."

"I would do dirty things for a croissant right now," I said without thinking. Lacking sleep tends to remove your filter.

I saw him blush. "That reminds me," he said and took out a white paper bag, placing it on the desk in front of me.

"Robbie Bennett, if this is a croissant, this could be love."

I opened the bag and took out a cheese danish.

"I guess it's not my lucky day," he smiled and shrugged.

"Thank you, Robbie," I said sincerely and took a bite out of the pastry.

My eyes widened. "Wow," I said, looking at him in surprise.

"I know it's not your Pop-Tart, but that bakery makes some delicious pastries."

"Mmm," I moaned, taking another bite, my eyes fluttering close. "Pop-Tart, what's a Pop-Tart?" I joked.

"You have pastry around your mouth," he said. I noticed his eyes had darkened. I used my tongue to lick the corner of my mouth.

"Did I get it?" I asked.

He swallowed hard and clenched his jaw, and then gave me a small nod.