Chapter 28

Authors note: If you like my story please vote and comment. It lets me know that you enjoy the direction it is going in. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Enjoy!

Chapter 28

Our run was mostly in silence. Maria seemed more stressed than usual.

"I know it shouldn't bother me so much, but I really wish he would sometimes just sell the damn business."

"Maybe this is what he wants?"

"No. I know my brother. He can be an ass and sometimes rude—"

"Sometimes?" I scoffed, interrupting her.

"I know. I was there when he said the rude comment about you at the party. Still, he is the most loyal person I know, and he is doing this out of duty to my grandparents. I know that he doesn't seem like the best guy, but Robbie is a bleeding heart. You give him a sob story, and you can pretty much manipulate him to do whatever you want. My grandparents know this. Abigail knows this."

I stayed silent because I really didn't know what to say. After our run, we went to a gym that Maria belonged to. She said we should shower before lunch since we were going to a pretty nice place. She had brought me a dress I could change into.

We showered, blow-dried our hair, and got ready in the swanky gym bathroom.

"The other thing you have to understand is that Robbie and I used to be so close, and he would always hang out with Lana and me. Now all he does is work on the business and bang Abigail. I already lost my parents; I don't want to lose my brother as well."

"I figured that's where this was coming from."

"I know you did. You're annoyingly observant about some things."

I laughed, "What is that supposed to mean?"

"I mean that if you were more observant, you would have figured out my brother did not mean what he said that day."

I shook my head.

She shrugged and grabbed her bag, "I bet you anything my brother will meet us today. When he does, it's not to make nice with me."

I rolled my eyes. We walked down the street to the restaurant and made it just in time for our reservations.

As we were nearing the entrance, I noticed a tall figure leaning against the lamp post. He wore a dark green sweater and dress pants.

"Told you." She whispered.

"You came." She said to her brother.

"I did," He nodded.

"Bailed on Abigail's lunch?"

"I never said I was going to go," He said, opening the door for us.

The hostess waited for us right at the entrance.

"Good afternoon," She greeted, and then she took us to a marble table with dark green tufted chairs.

Another server pulled out the seats for Maria and me.

"Thank you," we said

"Of course, ladies, our pleasure."

When they pulled out a chair for Robbie, he sat down without a word. I noticed the nervous exchange the servers gave each other.

I guess his reputation as an ass preceded him.

I involuntarily rolled my eyes, and he noticed. His eyes squinted in a glare.