Chapter 51

Authors note: If you like my story please vote, add your libraries, and comment. It lets me know that you enjoy the direction it is going in. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Enjoy!

Chapter 51

I walked to the bus stop. I didn't even wait to see if Robbie was coming to help me with my bag. Our teacher let us out 12 minutes early, and it gave me a head start. I was able to think about everything that happened throughout the day and concluded I was angry and mortified and a dozen other feelings that I just refused to acknowledge. I slipped on my headphones and took out the book I packed for the bus; I needed a distraction from my thoughts.

When a large shadow covered mine on the sidewalk, I knew exactly who it belonged to; I huffed and raised the volume on the music I was listening to.

He leaned on the metal pole holding the different bus routes and connections. I could feel him watching me, and I refused to look up. After a moment, he raised his hand and slipped a finger between the backpack strap and my shoulder, trying to ease it off.

I refused to budge.

"Come on, Lia. Don't be difficult," He said, taking an earbud out of my ear so I could hear him.

"You said that we shouldn't be friends. Why are you even here?" I said, annoyed.

"I did not say that. I said that I believed we overestimated our ability to be friends. I never made a concrete decision on whether we should or shouldn't be."

I rolled my eyes. I could feel my heart beating fast from how upset I was getting, but I didn't want to make a scene. We were in public, and there were Trinity kids everywhere.

Fine.

I slipped off my bookbag and gave it to him, then I put back my earbud and went back to reading my book.

The entire way to my dad's apartment, we were silent. When we got there, it was almost night. The temperature had dropped, and I really regretted not grabbing a scarf. I stopped in front of my building and motioned for him to give me the bag.

"Let's talk," He said, keeping my backpack hostage and indicating he wanted us to sit down. I looked at him. He seemed determined.

"It's freezing," I sighed.

"Then let's go upstairs."

I nodded hesitantly started and walking, expecting him to follow me.

I regretted saying yes to his request as soon as I put my key in the doorknob and remembered my house was not left in the best state.

"I'm sorry in advance for the mess," I mumbled and opened the door.

Once inside, I noticed it was worse than this morning. I felt my cheeks turn red, and my hands shook as I put my crutches in the coatroom by the door.

I could already put some weight on my leg and preferred not to use them when I got home. I limped to the kitchen and grabbed the bottles my dad left out, and threw them in the trash. Then I grabbed the plates he let out and put them in the sink.

"Lia, relax, I don't care."

Our apartment was tiny. It was a one-bedroom the size of his bedroom and consisted of nothing but a kitchen, a living room, and a bedroom. The small kitchen was separated from the living room by a small counter. We did not have a couch. Instead, the living room hosted the bed where my dad slept, and the dinner table was patio furniture that we found at Goodwill when we first got here. I felt like an idiot for inviting him in. Compared to his palace, this must look like a total hovel.