Nihilism

"They keep saying I won't be good at volleyball because I'm too small!" Hinata complained to the team, annoyed that some boys in his class were amused by the fact that he played volleyball. 

"Just show those haters how it's done by hating yourself the most." 

Heads turned as they watched Kageyama walk by them, volleyball in hand to practise his serves. They were taken by surprise at the dark humour but Tanaka and Noya still let out some snickers of laughter...

"I can't wait for the school year to be over!" Noya exclaimed as he dropped his school bag to the ground. "It's only been three months."

"I can't wait for this life to be over, but I hear you." Kageyama said as he finished getting changed and headed out the club room, leaving several stunned looks in his wake...

"So, Kageyama, I was just doing a little check in with the first years to see how they're settling in to school and the club." Takeda explained as he sat by Kageyama on the bench.

"Okay."

"And how are you doing?"

"I'm at a pretty low point right now but it's okay because I know the worst is still ahead."

"..."

"Can I practise now?"

"Yeah, sure..."

The first years all managed to end up walking home together after a long practise. They were a little hungry so decided to head to Ukai's store for some snacks. Along the way, Hinata pointed out there was a piece of rubbish on the floor, an unusual sight for Japan.

"Hey look, that's me." Kageyama pointed at the rubbish with a small laugh before heading over to the vending machine they were passing to get some milk.

"My god that was dark. But funny." Tsuki stated...

"Why can't I get this float serve right! I hate myself!" Yamaguchi shouted, letting out his long pent-up frustration.

"Hey now," Suga interrupted, ready to comfort the distressed first year, "you don-"

"It's okay, I hate myself too." Kageyama comforted, not even looking their way as he set for Asahi, who almost missed the spike at the setter's words...

Kageyama would make these kind of jokes from time to time- really self-deprecating ones- but his face rarely showed any humour that the team questioned whether he was actually being serious or not. It wasn't often that he would make those jokes, but when he did it just seemed so natural, as if it was what he always said in his head but accidentally spoke aloud.

One day in the club room, Kageyama was on his phone as he waited for everyone to finish changing, as he had arrived early. He grinned a little from time to time but ended up laughing out loud, putting a hand over his mouth to silence himself. They saw him type something and wanted to know what he was looking at.

"What's so funny?" Hinata asked.

"Oh, just these pictures I found. They're relatable." Kageyama replied, surprised they were looking at him.

"Show us show us!" Noya shouted.

"Here-"

"Kageyama can you help set up the net with me?" they heard Ukai shout from the gym. 

"I'll send them to you."

Kageyama quickly attached some posts to a file before sending them to the group chat. He put his phone in the locker and left the room to go and help Ukai. The team's phones all pinged and they looked at the attachments from Kageyama. Some examples were: