I'm Not Stupid

"How long are you going to sit there before answering that question? It's so easy, just ignore the useless words."

"Easy for you to say you saltyass nerd."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I hurt the King's feelings?"

"No but you're making it damn hard to concentrate."

"Boys!" Daichi stated, making both first years huff and continue their homework.

"I'm just saying it's really the simplest thing we've learnt all year. They told us to ignore the long statements, they're just trying to confuse you." Tsuki explained, truly wondering if Kageyama was really struggling or was just a damn idiot.

"Great. Confuse me more." Kageyama muttered under his breath as he look away from the sheet and rubbed his eyes, returning a moment later with a confused expression before sighing.

"There's nothing to be confused about."

"I think there is."

"Are you really that dumb?!"

"No! But I sure as hell am dyslexic! Maybe you're the dumb one for not figuring that out already."

There was complete silence as Kageyama glared at the blond middle blocker before returning to the worksheet, missing the look of surprise and regret on Tsukishima's face.

"Kageyama, you're dyslexic?" Suga asked.

It was only then that the setter realised he had just blurted out one of his best kept secrets to his teammates. Sighing for the millionth time that night, so much that it was starting to annoy him, he looked up to face his teammates.

"Yes. Always have been." Kageyama explained in a dead tone.

"That explains so much!" Tanaka yelled.

"Duh."

"When did you find out you were dyslexic?" Daichi asked, sounding curious.

"My mom said I'd get confused reading the same word even if it was printed exactly the same way right next to each other. I'd also write some characters the wrong way round. So when I was in the first year of middle school she took me to a specialist who said I have dyslexia."

The team nodded their heads in understanding, thinking back to different times when they were questioning Kageyama's intelligence. Whether it was reading directions or shop signs, or even permissions forms, he would often get confused. No it made a lot more sense.

They wandered how often it may have hurt the setter when he was called dumb or stupid or an idiot, when really his dyslexia was entirely out of his control. Some of them felt bad when recalling times of having teased Kageyama due to this, and knew they weren't being very nice.

"What's it like having dyslexia?" Hinata asked with wide eyes, looking incredibly interested by the setter.

"Imagine seeing a simple sentence. Now for each word scramble up the characters and flip some of them over. Then for the fun of it merge one or two together. That's how I see it, boke."

"And that makes things like reading a lot harder, right?"

"Well yeah. When I first see words they just look like a mess. The time I spend just sitting and staring at the paper is me trying to figure out what the hell it says! Things like reading and writing are literal nightmares. I'm not stupid, I just need a little extra time."

"Why haven't you told anyone? Like the teachers?"

The team were surprised to see that it was Tsukishima asking this question; he looked genuinely confused as to why the setter stayed quiet about his dyslexia. It clearly made things like reading off the board in class confusing, and each assignment involving essays nearly impossible.