56 - Dumbledore

I awoke to the sound of hushed voices around me. I moved my fingers first, my body aching when I tried to move anything else. Blinking, I opened my eyes. Once they adjusted to the bright light, I realized where I was. The Infirmary was full, people standing over me.

"Leah!" Ginny cried when she noticed me awake. "Godric, I thought you were dead! I thought you both were dead!" Her hands shook as she gently took mine in hers. I hardly ever saw her this shaken, she normally held herself together better than anyone I knew. But now there were tears in her already red eyes, her cheeks wet and her auburn hair disheveled.

I squeezed her fingers lightly. "I'm okay. But, B-Bill?"

"He's alive." Lupin answered for me. A cut was prominent across his eyebrow and a small gash had split his lip.

I lifted my head in an attempt to get a look at the other hospital bed. Fleur was sat by his side, her eyes puffy as she gripped his limp hand. A pain shot through my head, vision blurring once again.

"You need to rest." Ginny insisted, stuffing a pillow behind my shoulders so I could sit up a little.

Madam Pomfrey came rushing in a moment later, various bottles of potions clutched between her fingers. "Good you're awake." She uncapped one of the dusty blue bottles before tipping some into my mouth. I gagged as the bitter taste sank down my throat and she quickly moved on to Bill, applying an ointment to the slashes all down his face.

The doors to the ward flew open, in ran the two men I wanted to see the most right now. George's eyes were red and his face pale as he noticed me. "Leah." He breathed out a sigh of relief.

"Hey. I—uh—left the flat." I cracked a small smile as he quickly pulled a chair up.

"None of that matters. I'm just so glad you're okay." George shook his head, pressing his lips to my knuckles. "I-I was rushing around. I didn't even give you a proper kiss goodbye. If something had happened—"

"I'm alright, George. I promise." I assured him.

"What happened?" His brows had been permanently knit together in concern since he got here.

"Cracked skull. She'll need to stay here overnight but she should be released tomorrow." Madam Pomfrey adjusted one of the bandages wrapped tightly around my head. I'm relieved that the pressure I was feeling wasn't just from my injury. "It's a miracle she didn't break any ribs with the amount of bruising there."

"Leah, I'm real glad you're alright. I don't know what we'd do if I had to go back to eating George's dinners again." Fred was the only one who laughed at his joke. Ginny stood from her chair and punched him hard in the arm. "Ow! Merlin, I was just kidding!" He frowned, rubbing the spot.

"Thank you, Gin." I grinned, trying my best not to laugh. While Madam Pomfrey said I hadn't broken any ribs, my sides still stung with every breath. It was only when I looked to where Harry was now entering the ward that I realized Neville and Flitwick were in beds as well, though both appeared to be resting comfortably.

Harry was slightly hesitant as he approached our group. Part of me understood why. In an instant he was bombarded with hugs and questions.

"Are you all right, Harry?" Lupin looked even more anxious at the sight of him, as if he was a sudden reminder of the cause that had us all fighting so vigorously only hours prior.

"I'm fine. But how's Bill...and Leah. I-I was sure you were both dead. I had to step over your bodies...there was so much blood." He muttered, his gaze lingering on the almost unrecognizable face lying on Bill's pillow. "I'm sorry."