80 - Summer Nights

"At least you're not huge yet." Ginny smiled as she placed a hand over my small bump. She and Hermione had joined me on the couch the minute they arrived. Ron, Percy, and Harry were chatting in the kitchen about their day's at the Ministry.

"Ginny!" Hermione lightheartedly scolded, holding in her laughter at the girl's bluntness.

"What? If she was whale sized already this summer would be excruciating." She defended with a shrug. I laughed along with the two.

"She's got a point." I shrugged with a grin. "The healer estimated my due date to be around December 20th. So I'll have the extra weight to keep me warm this winter."

A popping sound briefly captured my attention, but when I turned I saw it was only Bill and Fleur. They happily greeted the men standing in the kitchen. Fred and George were still not here yet. I hope everything went okay at the store today.

"Leah! 'ow are you?" Fleur grinned before coming up to me and giving me a kiss on each of my cheeks. I was listening to an update about some drama with one of her coworkers when Mrs. Weasley began to set out dish after dish of the food we had been working on all evening.

I sat down beside Ron, who wrapped an arm around me in an awkward side hug. His girlfriend laughed from his other side. "Ron, I told you you don't have to treat her any differently."

"I'm not comfortable around pregnant women." He hissed to her, his face turning red as he sheepishly turned to me. "Sorry, Leah."

I rolled my eyes and laughed along with the rest of the table. I feel for Hermione if they ever decide to have children of their own one day. "It's not too late to back out, 'Mione." Ginny snickered. "Find yourself a real man...or woman."

"Ginevra, leave your brother alone." Mrs. Weasley lightly hit her on the shoulder with her rag after setting a dish filled with steaming mashed potatoes down on the table.

My giggles from Ginny's teasing quickly faded when I caught sight of the still empty seat to my left. "I'm a little worried. Fred and George should have gotten off the store over an hour ago."

The table exchanged looks before Mrs. Weasley spoke up with a clear of her throat. "You said they were trying out a new employee. I'm sure they had to stay behind to debrief her."

Just as she finished her sentence, Mr. Weasley walked through the back door with both boys trailing behind him. I let out a sigh of relief as George sat down beside me. Both had taken the time to change out of their work clothes and into something more comfortable for the heat of the Burrow.

"There you are." I smiled over at him. "What took you so long?" I reached over to place a hand on his thigh, but he nearly jumped out of his skin when I came in contact with his leg. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." He shrugged and poured some water into his cup.

"We had to stay after a bit at the shop." Fred offered me a small smile from his seat across the table.

"Okay..." I nodded as everyone began to pass dishes around the table.

Something had to have happened for George to be acting this strange. I'm not sure if it was just a rough day or if the potential new hire didn't work out—or what if she worked out a little too well. She was very pretty...and not to mention thin. Tall, short black hair, striking blue eyes, and tanned skin.

My heart was racing, suddenly I was feeling so queasy that even Mrs. Weasley's famous chicken and ham pie was unappetizing. George wouldn't do that to me, but the sudden cold shoulder was making me nervous. Anyways Fred would've killed him before he made it here if that was the case.