💜See you Again Someday💙

Bruh I'm sad rn I just finished watching Grave of the Fireflies and like that movie is hella hard to watch so now I'm like screw it here's some sad josuyasu 😔

"So I guess this is it, huh?"

Okuyasu nodded, fists jammed into his pockets. "Yeah. Guess so."

"You sure you don't need help with anything else?"

"Nah, I'm good. Thanks though, for all your help."

Josuke nodded for a little too long. He shifted his weight from foot to foot, anxiously trying to stall. Desperate to find something, anything to stretch out this goodbye.

Okuyasu sighed. "Well, I guess I should-"

"Th-there's supposed to be a storm coming, you know." Josuke could here the neediness in his own voice. "Maybe it'd be better to spend the night here. Leave first thing in the morning."

Okuyasu shook his head, smiling sadly. "Come on, bro. You and I both know it's time for me to leave."

"Why, though?" He asked, even though he knew the answer.

He shrugged. "It just is, Josuke. I can't stay in Morioh forever."

Josuke grit his teeth, looking down at the sidewalk.

"I mean, you and the guys are gonna be leaving for college at the end of the summer anyway! It's not like I'd be down the street anymore if I stayed."

He clenched his hands into tight fists at his sides, knuckles going white from his vice grip.

"We....we all knew this wasn't gonna last, you know?"

Maybe, but that didn't make this any easier.

He hadn't kept the long term in mind all through high school. When he was spending almost every day with his friends, he hadn't been thinking about their bonds ending.

When he'd fallen in love, he hadn't prepared to say goodbye.

A few hot tears spilled down his cheeks as he looked up at his best bro. "I just wish I could put everything on pause for a little bit longer, don't you? I wanna just stay here. Like this."

Okuyasu forced a laugh, although tears were clearly building in his eyes now too. "Jeez, don't be so dramatic. W-we're still gonna talk and stuff. Not like I'm gonna fall off the face of the Earth."

Their eyes met and Okuyasu gave him a weak smile.

Josuke remembered the first time he'd wanted to kiss Oku. Back in the summer of 1999, when his whole life got so much more complicated and so much better. He'd never acted on it, never told the other boy how he felt. There was always tension that would build until Josuke almost confessed, then it would suddenly dissipate and he'd lose his nerve. If he could go back to that summer, he'd tell his younger self to take the risk then and there. He loved Okuyasu. Every single day, he loved him more. And now he was leaving.

It was a pointless gesture, much too little much too late, but he couldn't stand the thought of never kissing him.

He leaned in quickly, his whole body tight with tension. His lips moved softly, tenderly asking for a response.

The romantic inside of him was hoping Okuyasu would melt on the spot, would wrap his strong arms around Josuke and pull him close. That they'd embrace on the sidewalk and at the very least, their story would end on a high note.

Maybe there was a time where that could've happened. If he'd done it sooner, if he'd been smarter, if he'd loved Okuyasu more bravely.

When Josuke pulled back and opened his eyes, Okuyasu gave him that same sad smile.

"Josuke..." he said softly. "You...you know you're my best friend in the world, right?"

Josuke bit hard at the inside of his lip to keep it from trembling. He nodded sharply with a forced smile, not trusting himself to speak.

"I should probably head out, it's gonna get dark soon."

"Yeah," he choked.

Okuyasu turned and opened the driver's door to his car. "I'll see you around, yeah?"

Despite the agony he was feeling, Josuke smiled. 'See you around' still hurt, worse than anything he'd felt since Kira died. 'See you around' was non committal, at its core it might not have meant anything. 'See you around' was bittersweet, and way more of the former than the latter.

But 'see you around' wasn't 'goodbye'.

He held up a hand in a friendly wave, another tear sliding down his face.

"Yeah, see you around."

*See You Again Intensifies*
✋😔