💜Okuyasu Appreciation Time💙

There was a disturbance in the force. Ha ha. Actually, that was just Okuyasu's stomach. Again. He'd had lunch only an hour ago, but he was still hungry. If Josuke were here, he would scold him.

Ramen is not a substitute for real food, Oku.

Which was funny, because he was pretty sure his bro also worshiped the god that was dehydrated noodles and gave offerings of the unwanted dehydrated veggies on the side to said god.

He was pretty sure none of that made sense outside of his head, so he didn't mention it to Stray Cat, who was eyeing the fresh onions he was chopping. They eyed pretty much anything Okuyasu made. Carnivorous plants weren't something he'd ever studied until after he'd gotten one, so he assumed they wouldn't be interested in anything besides meat. Oddly, that wasn't true. Stray loved cherry tomatoes...which seemed a little cannibalistic? But whatever, Okuyasu wasn't going to yuck its yums like that. Besides, they looked weirdly adorable chewing on the rind of the tomato, sucking out all the seeds first and then going for the insides.

Yup. Definitely weird and not a metaphor for his presumed demise in that night via vampire plant cat. Not at all.

Okuyasu finished mincing the onions. He was hardly aware of the tears streaming down his face, but the stinging was starting to get to him. Benefits of being a crybaby, he supposed. He washed his hands and face in the sink, careful to use a towel instead of touching his bare eyeballs with raw onion stench. The last time had not been fun.

He stirred the vegetables in the frying pan, adding a little more oil and garlic, then scraping the onions in with the flat of the knife. It was nearing 5 pm, and Josuke was going to get off work soon. Their time's off from their part-time jobs almost never aligned like this anymore, so he wanted to at least prep a proper meal for his boyfriend.

Just the word made him smile. Boyfriend. Main squeeze, significant other. He knew he was cheesy because of how much he liked endearments. Especially since Josuke seemed to not share his enthusiasm. However, he knew how happy it made him, so he'd slipped in a few 'babes' and even a 'sweetheart' when Okuyasu fixed the chain on his bike last week. It was like there was an electrical outlet inside of him and Josuke had plugged in a string of lights. The warmth, the magic, all of it wound around him and made him feel so good. Love was like that for him. It was still so strange that he of all people was experiencing something like this. Something so right, so good, so kind. So Josuke. God, he believed Josuke loved him, but holy shit! It was Josuke and him!

This he told Stray Cat. They meowed in their little, curdled voice. They did listen, or at least, Okuyasu thought they did. Their little ears still flickered back and forth with each new sound, but their gaze was always on Okuyasu's hands. On Okuyasu in general.

He wondered if they were like this with Kira. If Kira had even cared about them like that. He was a psychopath, so he doubted it. Bonds like that, even between stand and stand creatures, weren't something he thought Kira understood. Even though he wasn't smart in a lot of areas, Okuyasu understood emotions. He understood loyalty, what it meant to be tied to someone through familial bonds and traumatic experiences. And still, he wasn't like that. Still, he didn't go around getting his jollies from killing people and carrying around their decapitated hands and shit and-

fuck.

Stray Cat made a sound he'd never heard before. It almost sounded like a question.

Are you okay?

He'd missed the cutting board and cut a stroke across his thumb. He watched dumbly as his blood dripped onto the chunks of carrot. Good god, he was an idiot, getting so far into his own head that he wasn't paying attention to what the hell he was doing. Thinking about Kira, for fuck's sake. Why did he waste his time? He was dead.