💜 Red String 💙

The red string tied to Okuyasu's pinky tugs a little, and he stops short, peering down at it. It's never done that before...and now it's doing it again, going taut and then slack.

Beside him, Keicho keeps walking, his hand slipping out of Okuyasu's - but it barely registers. Okuyasu is paying too much attention to the string on his finger to really notice he's been left behind until Keicho comes stomping back all grumpy.

"Keep up, Okuyasu!" he grouches, picking up Okuyasu's lax hand and trying to urge him along with it. "We hafta get home before dad."

"But -"Okuyasu's argument is cut off by that red string yanking harder; so much that he's very nearly jerked towards a big building across the street. The only thing that stops him is Keicho's grip keeping him grounded on the sidewalk.

"What are you doing?"

And that's an awfully silly question, in Okuyasu's opinion. "It's not me!" He wouldn't throw himself out into the street, after all - not without looking both ways first. "It's the string!"

As proof, that thin red string straining against his pinky has his arm pulled out straight to the side in its efforts to guide him to that big building over there.

"Just ignore it," Keicho insists, "we gotta get home, I told you."

"But, bro...!"

Keicho hauls him back when the red string pulls again, and Okuyasu topples into him with the force of it.

"I really think I should follow it -"

"No," Keicho snaps, giving another rough tug that has Okuyasu stumbling a few steps down the street, his arm still at the whims of the string.

Mom always said there was no need to ignore the string if it pulled, because it would only lead to happiness. The thought is exciting, but remembering mom makes Okuyasu too sad to argue this point - never mind that Keicho says not to bring her up - plus it kinda hurts, being played tug of war with like this...

All in all Okuyasu doesn't think he can be blamed if he starts to tear up a little. Or if maybe one or two of those tears escape down his cheeks.

Finally giving up on his yanking, Keicho sighs. He bends down some so that he's face to face with Okuyasu, and mutters, "Don't cry, alright?"

Okuyasu nods with a sniffle, doing his best to hold the tears in. They stress Keicho out, he knows.

"Now isn't a good time to follow it," Keicho explains as he stands back up straight.

And maybe he's right, like he is about a lot of other stuff. He always keeps Okuyasu safe, always knows just what to do to fix any problem or get out of any trouble; it stands to reason that he knows what he's talking about when it comes to this, too. They do need to get back before dad comes home, after all.

So Okuyasu follows when Keicho starts to coax him down the street in a gentler way. The red string pulls taut for a moment, and gives a bit of a fight, but then it starts to slacken more and more the further away they get from that big building.

"'Sides," Keicho says, once they're almost at the corner, "that's a hospital, anyway. If your soulmate is in there, they might be dyin' or something."

Eyes wide, Okuyasu stares behind them at the hospital, almost tripping over his feet until they turn onto the next street and it disappears from view.

-

Over the next couple weeks, Okuyasu keeps an eye on his red string. Just in case. It doesn't fade away or sever or anything, just keeps on looking the same as it always has. Pretty and red and tied in little knot with a bow - kinda like how Okuyasu's been practicing on his shoes. It quivers whenever he goes near that hospital.