💜 The Life of Nijimura Keichou 💙

"Are you proud of me, bro?"

Proud? Through all his life his little brother inspired many things in Keicho. Some good, but mostly complicated.

--

Protective was the first thing he felt for Okuyasu.

The first time Keicho saw his brand-new brother, his mother asked him what he thought of the newly dubbed Okuyasu. There wasn't much to think about. For his almost three-year-old mind, Okuyasu's only interesting features were his long lashes and even longer nails. Keicho did notice that his baby brother looked more like their parents than he himself. His eyes and hair were dark like father's, but his complexion was more like mother's.

Their father then proceed to tell him that now that he was an older brother, he had the most important task of all: to protect Okuyasu. And he would, even from the man who gave him the task.

--

Worry was the second strong emotion he felt for Okuyasu. Looking at his crying little brother, and trying to clean the wounds on his face, he worried that he couldn't really protect him. Their father, if that horrible man could still be called that, had hurt Okuyasu. Again. And he couldn't protect him. Again. He just wasn't good enough.

"It was an accident", Okuyasu had said, as tears, snot and blood run down his poor dumb face. Keicho snorted, as his trembling weak 8-year-old hands, tried to apply petroleum jelly to his little brother's face. "He didn't mean it. For real this time." But the cuts have been too perfect, too symmetrical. "He was crying when he left. I saw it."

"Coward. If he were sorry, he would be here doing this." Keicho growled as he started applying the steri-strips. He hoped there would be enough. He was wondering if he should get his brother a tetanus shot, once a teacher said they were needed if the cut was deep, when Okuyasu whimpered.

"I'm sorry, brother."

"It's not your fault, dummy."

"Please don't say anything to father." Keicho ignored him, working on Okuyasu's face and wondering how they could get a tetanus shot, without explaining what happened. "Please, promise me, Keicho." At that he looked at his little brother, who rarely used his name, unless it was serious. "I don't want him angry with you too."

"He's always angry with me." But Keicho nodded. He wouldn't confront father, for now. Mansaku Nijimura was a big man, and Keicho is no idiot. But he would add this to the tally. And he would pay it back eventually. That was a promise.

--

Fear was another common state of mind whenever Keicho thought about Okuyasu. Not of him. But for him. He was crying again, and Keicho was too angry to care as he pulled him home. If he hadn't decided to go look for him after an hour had passed and he wasn't home from the combini just a few streets down...

Some slimy asshole had his hands on his brother and was pushing him towards an old car in a dark alley. Keicho saw red. The element of surprise and the weight training had paid off because, despite being a middle-schooler, he had kicked that pervert's ass until he was down on the floor bleeding and unconscious.

"Bro".

The look on his face when he turned towards Okuyasu must have been scary, because his little brother flinched. Keicho just grabbed his hand and turned back home. They shouldn't be there if the police appeared. There would be questions.

Halfway there, Okuyasu started talking "It's just that I lost the money for the half-prize bento." Okuyasu showed the hole in his jogging pants' pocket. "He said he would give me a couple of the bento he had at his car if I did him a favor and--"