💜 I put a Spell on You 💙

The cheerful chime of the bell felt a bit unnecessary, since its sound was almost drowned out by the agonized creak of the front door. Okuyasu looked around the tiny shop, feeling quite lost. The walls were lined with curiosities: Stones both rough and polished, countless herbs in clear jars, salts and liquids and the tools of a trade he was entirely unfamiliar with. This was stupid, he should just leave. There was no way the rumors at school were true.

"Hey, how are ya?"

Okuyasu jumped, turning around to see a girl about his age leaning on the counter. She looked familiar, maybe they'd had a class together?

"Oh, sorry. I've uh, never been here before, so..."

She nodded, eyes fixed on her nails. "Beginner, huh? That's no problem, what are you lookin' for?"

"I'm, uh," God, this was stupid. "I'm looking for H-Hecate?"

She chuckled and he felt hot embarrassment tint his cheeks. She lazily gestured toward a purple curtain in the back of the shop. "Back room. We're doing a special right now, one three card reading per customer, free of charge."

"Oh, actually, I kinda heard that she had some...special inventory?" He said, praying she'd know what he meant.

Her eyes widened. "Oh. Well. Like I said, she's in the back. She's not with a client right now, so I guess you can go ahead."

Okuyasu frowned at her sudden discomfort. "Uh, okay?" He said, turning for the curtain.

"Just make sure you know what you want when you talk to her. It'll save both of you a lot of time."

"Right...thanks."

Okuyasu moved past the curtain and found himself facing an elegant older woman with long blonde hair and dark features sitting at a simple looking table.

"Um, Hecate?"

"Good afternoon, how can I be of service to you?"

He cleared his throat nervously. "W-well, I heard this rumor that you have some, uh, powerful items for sale?"

She gestured to the chair across from her. "Have a seat, tell me your name."

Okuyasu sat, watching as she picked up a pen and opened a large journal. He peered over at the pages as he spoke and saw a long list of names, some of them written in alphabets he couldn't understand or even recognize. "My name is Okuyasu Nijimura, ma'am. It's nice to-"

"And what do you want, Okuyasu?" She asked, already scribbling down his name in crisp black ink. Something about that made him feel uneasy.

"Well see, I've never been too popular, so I've never really had like, a girlfriend or anything before, but-"

"You want to be adored, then?" She interrupted, pen hovering above her pages.

Okuyasu faltered, stammering a little. This was clearly a busy woman, he suddenly felt guilty for even asking for her help.

Adored? More or less. It was an oversimplification in his eyes, but it was probably all Hecate needed to know.

Tell her what you want. Keep it simple. Keep it short.

"Yes. I want to be adored."

The scratch of her pen's nib on the aged paper seemed to echo in his ears, and he felt the air around him shimmer.

"Then adored you will be," she said, leaning over to lift a small jewelry box from a nearby shelf. She opened it and pulled out a simple necklace. On its silver chain hung a pendant, featureless save for its brilliant mirror finish. Okuyasu had no problem seeing his face clearly in the pendant, a bit distorted from the angle of reflection but recognizable nonetheless.