💜 Crisis 💙

Josuke laid back in the shade of his favorite tree. The sun was still high in the sky reflecting cheerful sparkles on the surface of the water. Lately he'd been enjoying just chilling at the park like this. It was a retreat from the stress of his daily life. And today, it was even better, because his best bro had tagged along.

"So you just like, lay in the grass and like, do nothing?"

"I mean, you don't have to do nothing. You could like, watch the ducks or walk around or something I guess. But mostly I like to just kinda think about stuff."

"What kinda stuff?"

"I don't know, everything. I've got a lot of shit to think about, ya know? Takes a while to mull everything over."

"Am I allowed to like, talk? Or-"

Josuke laughed. "You're over thinking it, man. You're gonna miss what's special about it if you keep worrying so much. Every day, I make sure to come here, at least for a little while. And it's like, that's my time, you know? I can just like, breathe, and relax and shit. I don't know, maybe it's dumb."

Okuyasu looked concerned. "But if this is supposed to be like, your Josuke time, shouldn't I-"

"See man, this is exactly why I wanted to bring you with me. Something has been weighing on you lately, it's making you all nervous. And you don't have to tell me what it is if you don't wanna, but I think taking some time to clear your head could be good for you," he smiled up at Okuyasu. "And besides, I like having you with me."

Okuyasu laid down awkwardly beside him. Josuke let out a deep, contented sigh. A couple walked by, having a quiet conversation.

"I love this feeling," Josuke said, closing his eyes. "Like, the world is going by around us, but we're just chillin. Nowhere to be, just happy right where we are."

The light breeze shifted the leaves above them. A single leaf drifted down and brushed Josuke's hand. He shifted reflexively and their fingers touched. It was nice, how warm Okuyasu was, and without thinking, he laced their fingers together.

"Josuke?"

"Hmmmm?" He couldn't remember the last time he felt so relaxed.

"You know how you were sayin' that you could tell there was something on my mind?"

He turned his head and looked over at Okuyasu. "Yeah? Why, do you wanna talk about it?"

"Maybe, is that alright?"

Josuke nodded.

"Well, thing is uh, I've kinda realized recently that uh, well I've kinda got a thing for you, man."

Oh.

Wait, what?

"I know that's like, kinda weird but, I've never been great at keeping secrets, so figured I should just tell you how I'm feeling straight up."

Josuke suddenly became very aware of how close they were. Josuke had been absentmindedly rubbing circles into Okuyasu's hand with his thumb, but he stopped himself, feeling a lot like a deer in headlights.

"Is that like......okay?"

The worry was obvious in Okuyasu's voice. Josuke forced himself to calm down and give him a reassuring response.

"Of course it's okay, bro. I mean, it's not like I'm gonna just stop being friends with you just because you, uh, just because of all that."

He sat up now, detangling their fingers a bit guiltily.

"Really? That's so good to hear, man. I appreciate that."

They sat a while longer in a less comfortable silence. Josuke's mind was absolutely reeling. This was supposed to be his time for unwinding, but, Okuyasu? Crush, on him? The thought alone made Josuke feel exhausted.