💜 The Kitty Incident 💙

Okuyasu is late, which is strange - he's typically pretty punctual, despite what appearances would have you believe. Every morning before their walk to school, he gets to Josuke's house early, sometimes even showing up before Tomoko has the coffee made.

They hadn't come together today, though, and Josuke is wondering if that's the reason for Okuyasu's tardiness.

It couldn't be helped, if it is. Josuke has a lot to catch up on, now that he's finally back in school. Before and after class his day is crammed with make-up work; it sucks royally, for a variety of reasons, but mostly for the deprived-of-extra-time-spent-with-Okuyasu reason.

So here Josuke is, on a rainy Tuesday morning, sitting in his seat and frowning at the empty one in front of him. Okuyasu should be here by now...class is about to start and still there's no sign of him.

Two minutes until the final bell rings, and movement outside the classroom door catches Josuke's eye. He's just starting to formulate a plan to visit Okuyasu's house during lunch when he spots a familiar waving hand from the hall.

So Josuke stands up, mutters something about being right back to no one in particular, and then follows that beckoning hand.

Once out of the classroom, he's met with the sight of a sopping wet Okuyasu, dripping all over the floor, hair a limp mess. For some reason he's cradling the front of his jacket, too, Josuke notices.

"Dude, what happened to you?" Well, obviously Okuyasu was rained on, but there's something about the set of his mouth and the shine of his eyes that tells Josuke there's more to this story than a forgotten umbrella.

"I -" Okuyasu pauses to sneeze into his elbow, wiping his nose on a dripping wet sleeve, "- I was on my way to school, when I found this kitten stuck in a storm drain, an' I couldn't leave her there, so I fished her out with The Hand."

Josuke wants to ask, but he's too afraid to. If he sees a gaping hole in the ground on the way home from school, that question will be answered. For now, he opts for a different one.

"And...where is this kitten now...?" He has a sinking suspicion that he knows the answer to that already. The front of Okuyasu's jacket is oddly active for a piece of clothing.

Glancing over Josuke's shoulder, and then behind himself, Okuyasu seems satisfied that the hallway is empty. He grabs Josuke's arm and pulls him to huddle against the wall, out of immediate view of any classrooms.

"She's, uh..." Pressing his finger to his lips as an insistence of silence, Okuyasu unbuttons his uniform top carefully. He keeps one hand beneath the wiggling lump on his front to support it, and by the time three buttons are undone, a tiny kitten head pokes out. It's dark grey and just as wet as Okuyasu is.

Josuke isn't surprised, but he sure as hell is shocked all the same. "Dude - you can't have her here," he whispers - but he can't resist reaching out to stroke over the kitten's head with a finger.

"What was I s'posed to do?" Okuyasu asks, frowning. "Leave her there?!"

Josuke, still petting the kitten, pauses just long enough to raise an eyebrow at Okuyasu. "You couldn't've taken her home...?"

"I was only a block away from school when I found her! I couldn't run her all the way home, she might catch a cold." For all the good it'll do - what with he himself being soaked - Okuyasu cuddles the kitten closer, wrapping her tighter in his jacket.

"Oku...you might catch a cold at this rate," Josuke points out.

As if on cue, Okuyasu sneezes again. The kitten looks up at him, startled by the noise, and he coos at her, scratching her chin. "I'll be okay," he insists, sniffling.