💜 Hand Holding 💙

The first time it happens, Okuyasu doesn't expect and, honestly, he's a little confused.

"What, dude?"

"I said," reiterates Josuke, arching an eyebrow. "Are you trying to hold my hand?"

They're walking home from school - the same thing they do every day - and nothing is different. Nothing but Josuke asking him... if he wants to hold his hand?

"What are you talking about?" grunts Okuyasu. His cheeks are suddenly pink, and he's not sure why, so he turns his head away from Josuke and shoves his hands into his pockets.

"Nah, man, it's just a joke," laughs Josuke, easy and calm. His face isn't pink. "Like, we were walking so close that your hand touched mine, so I said "Are you trying to hold my hand?" but, you know, it was just -"

"Yeah, yeah, I get it, Josuke."

Josuke chuckles again, then keeps walking, mirroring Okuyasu and sliding his hands into his pockets.

**

They're in the middle of school when it happens again.

It wouldn't have been a big deal if Josuke's fingers weren't currently threaded through his own.

"Josuke," warns Okuyasu through gritted teeth, but his best friend just smirks.

Walking through the crowded throng of the hallways meant that Josuke and Okuyasu had to walk relatively close together. Because of this, their shoulders would inevitably bump. In the past it hadn't been a problem, but this time Josuke turned to him again with that perfectly styled brow arched and said, "You tryin' to hold my hand?"

"No way, man," grunts Okuyasu, but instead of leaving it alone and laughing it off, Josuke pulls his hand into his, threading their fingers together.

Okuyasu feels the embarrassment burning in his face. They're in the middle of a crowded hallway, and every single one of their peers is standing around them. It would only take a quick glance from one of Josuke's fangirls; their whisper would become a trail of gossip spreading through the entire class, rumors growing and twisting until they became embedded historical fact. Okuyasu's heart thumps in his chest, trying again to separate his hand from Josuke's, when the soft skin of his fingers suddenly disappears.

"Why are you so worried that there are people around?" asks Josuke with a cheeky grin, wheeling around and walking backward through the crowd. "Would you rather we were... alone?" He whispers the last word so that only Okuyasu hears it, and punctuates it by raising his eyebrows.

"Fuckin' knock it off, man." The heat hasn't left Okuyasu's face, and he's still burning with embarrassment. Enough that he can't bring himself to look into Josuke's eyes. "Stop being weird."

When Okuyasu looks back toward the front, they're already at Koichi's classroom, and Josuke has forgotten all about their conversation.

**

When it happens again, Okuyasu decides to turn the tables.

They're walking to school on Monday morning, a long weekend of video games and junk food behind them. They haven't even reached the ice cream shop when Okuyasu's attention is drawn toward the bright blue of the sky, forcing his path to stray. He feels his hand bump Josuke's, and has to bite his tongue to stop the apology. Maybe if he pretends it didn't happen, Josuke won't notice.

He's wrong.

"Gosh, Oku, if you want to hold my hand all you gotta do is say so," Josuke says, putting on his sweetest voice. He opens the door to the ice cream shop and waggles his fingers in Okuyasu's face.